DIRT and Dividends: Is there a lower limit for declaration?

losttheplot

I receive share options from my employer and so file a tax return each year where I detail the RTSO and any divedends received. I also have about 50 Vodafone shares, so get divedends from these also. I'm just wondering is there a lower limit under which dividends need not be declared. Is it essential to include the £2.20 Vodafone dividends? (not trying to avoid the tax, just don't like working out exchange rates).

Similarly, with DIRT, is there a lower limit under which you can leave it off a tax return. Just a nuisance finding the interest on several accounts when it just amounts to a few euro and you've already paid the DIRT.

Re: DIRT and Divedends: Is there a lower limit for declaration?

There are no exemption limits for income of this kind - it has to be declared.

Thanks for the reply, I'd searched but couldn't find anything to suggest there was. All I could find was, if you file a tax return, you must declare it.

Should all PAYE workers who receive any amount of interest complete a tax return to declare the interest, this would mean almost everyone, wouldn't it.

Yes, they must; that is the law and not knowing the law is not a defence if prosecuted. Whether individuals are compliant or not is a matter between them and the Revenue.

Back