Home Difficulty getting House Insurance

A

AMKing

Hi
I had insurance with Zurich through 123.ie.

I also run a small childcare business from my house, which is insured through RSA.

I had a letter from 123.ie saying that they will not be renewing their insurance with me as Zurich would not underwrite it due to the business from my house.

I contacted RSA through a number of brokers about them taking my house insurance and they wont as I had a €2k claim 2 years ago for water damage for a faulty shower.

So right now, I have no insurance for my house and am having difficulty getting insurance due to my home based business.

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

thanks

Do you deal through a broker for your RSA business policy? If so, contact him. He should be able to make a case for you.

A few years ago, we went to renew our longstanding home ins. policy with RSA and were told that because we'd had several claims over the previous five years (I think it was 4) they couldn't renew.

I then contacted every other insurer who declined to take us on. I was getting desperate when the last company I spoke to informed me that RSA were legally obliged to renew our policy - albeit at a higher premium.

So back I went to RSA, told them I believed they were obliged to renew, and they said...er..yes, that's right. They barely loaded the premium at all - after all that!

Now I realise that your case is different, but refusing your business on the basis of one single claim (when you already have another policy with them) seems extraordinary. I always dealt directly with RSA, never through a broker. Do you think it's worth while ringing them up and appealing to their better nature?

Oh, and I've just moved from RSA to AXA (who already insures our 2 cars) because they were way cheaper. Have you tried them?

you were both wrong here. There is NO legal obligation to renew or offer renewal terms on any policy other than MOTOR in Ireland.

Back