Designing a Company Logo

censuspro

Does anyone have any idea on the type of spend involved. Looking to have something designed that I can use for advertising, internet and stationery.

Last edited:
Sorry, what does that mean?

if you want a straight forward psd image ... (can be saved as jpg etc afterwards) ... you can get one designed from $10 up.

It all depends on what you're after. If you want a stock image on it ... it will have to be purchased so that you can use it.

May I suggest you go to www.creativeireland.com and post your query there?

It's an Irish site that's frequented by plenty of out-of-work designers at the moment. I'd expect to be looking at a good bit more than 10euro though!! I'm speaking as a graphic designer. I don't think people realise the amount of a time a company brand takes to do, from concept to completion. You hardly think a graphic designer goes to college for years to get paid a tenner for a company brand?

I'm sure there are websites you can go to who will do you a very basic clip-art type logo for 10 euro but i don't know a designer in Ireland worth their salt who would do that, unless it was for charity.

Like i said at the moment a lot of designers have no jobs so if you post what you're looking for here: http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20 and ask people to PM you with how much they'd charge you'll find they'll try to undercut each other and you could get a nice quote. Good luck.

ps you could also try that site www.tenderme.com and look for quotes there, it's very competitive at the moment.

edit: i'd also advise that you avoid anyone who offers to design a logo in Photoshop!! Adobe Illustrator should always be used so the eps logo can be applied anywhere. A jpg is not a good format for a logo.

why not try and get a local secondary school involved, maybe offer to buy some equipment for art class in exchange for designing logo

You get what you pay for, don't spend €10 as Paddy says. If you pay €10 or even €100, 99% of the time you will get crap, a logo is the face of your business, cheap will make the company look amateur and cheap whihc you don't want unless you are Ryanair but there branding is calculated and designed to look cheap and I guarantee it cost a lot more more then €10 or even €10,000, its easy for people who don't understand design to use clipart but believe me it really is important to any business to look professional.

If i was getting just a logo on its own without application I would expect to spend in the region of €800 but you could spend up to €80,000 if you go to a brand development company who will do lots of research and development, they are the people who design big brand logos like eircom.

Let em know if you need anymore advise.

Aye, I was thinking myself that big squiggle above the eircom name must have cost around €80,000

If you are the HSE you will spend a small fortune, produce a booklet explaining the meaning between the different shades of green and red in the logo and then spend another small fortune as the Irish translation is wrong...

You get what you pay for, don't spend €10 as Paddy says. If you pay €10 or even €100, 99% of the time you will get crap, a logo is the face of your business, cheap will make the company look amateur and cheap whihc you don't want unless you are Ryanair but there branding is calculated and designed to look cheap and I guarantee it cost a lot more more then €10 or even €10,000, its easy for people who don't understand design to use clipart but believe me it really is important to any business to look professional.

If i was getting just a logo on its own without application I would expect to spend in the region of €800 but you could spend up to €80,000 if you go to a brand development company who will do lots of research and development, they are the people who design big brand logos like eircom.

Thanks for the info. What do you mean when you say "without application"

For logo design, a more contemporary approach can be used via crowdsourcing over the web.

Censuspro - check out http://99designs.com/ for sourcing a logo designer. You shouldn't have to pay much more than a few hundred dollars.

On a separate but related note, if you intend growing the business, you might do well to ensure that the design does not infringe on any existing copyrights, patents or trademarks.

I'm not sure if design houses offer this sort of check as an in house-preliminary service, of it it has to be undertaken post-design, after you've parted with your money.

Again, this is probably not a service you'll get for €10.

:)

onq.

You can submit a brief for a logo and you budget to 99designs.com and in turn you'll recieve a number of proposals. You can provide feedback on designs untill your happy with the finished product.

A proper agency will charge a few thousand.

May I suggest you go to www.creativeireland.com and post your query there?

It's an Irish site that's frequented by plenty of out-of-work designers at the moment. I'd expect to be looking at a good bit more than 10euro though!! I'm speaking as a graphic designer. I don't think people realise the amount of a time a company brand takes to do, from concept to completion. You hardly think a graphic designer goes to college for years to get paid a tenner for a company brand?

I'm sure there are websites you can go to who will do you a very basic clip-art type logo for 10 euro but i don't know a designer in Ireland worth their salt who would do that, unless it was for charity.

Like i said at the moment a lot of designers have no jobs so if you post what you're looking for here: http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20 and ask people to PM you with how much they'd charge you'll find they'll try to undercut each other and you could get a nice quote. Good luck.

ps you could also try that site www.tenderme.com and look for quotes there, it's very competitive at the moment.

edit: i'd also advise that you avoid anyone who offers to design a logo in Photoshop!! Adobe Illustrator should always be used so the eps logo can be applied anywhere. A jpg is not a good format for a logo.

I found a designer on Creative Ireland so thanks for the info. However I did get a bit of stick for not knowing what a "brief" was and for setting my budget at €400. One poster felt that they should decide how much I should pay. You can have a look at the thread here http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=290613#post290613

As a matter of interest, would you be able to offer a reason why you didn't use 99designs.com?

There was a few reasons:

1. I didn't like that I couldn't talk to the designers
  2. The design I seen I didn't think were that good
  3. I felt I didn't have any come back
  4. The price was more or less the same for what I wanted
  5. I wanted to buy Irish

I found a designer on Creative Ireland so thanks for the info. However I did get a bit of stick for not knowing what a "brief" was and for setting my budget at €400. One poster felt that they should decide how much I should pay. You can have a look at the thread here http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=290613#post290613

Yeah, I had a look.

Hadn't been there before, maybe I'll lurk for a while.

Well done for finding them and I hope the person you retained does you proud.

As for some of the remarks, yes, Con is absolutely correct about the brief being the defining document.

But this also goes back to advice I and others have given elsewhere - perform a budget cost extimate early to ensure the product you are commissioning is affordable.

This applies equally to a logo design as to a house design.

And while you certainly evalute the product against the performance specification [the brief] you also evaluate it against the cost [fee].

FWIW

ONQ.

Yes but I am not a designer I do not know how to write a brief. The comment he made about comparing my budget of €400 to telling the tax man he was only willing to pay €400 VAT was just ridiculous. A better comparison would be, go into a car dealer and say this is how much I can spend what can you give me for that price.

Back