Health Insurance dermatologists costs. Crazy?

tom1ie

I'm just absolutely shocked at the prices these dermatologist can charge. My wife is trying to start her second treatment of roacutane (she was on it for 6months 6 years ago and it cleared up brilliantly).
She got a referral off her GP and was told waiting times could be up to 6months in black rock and a few weeks in the mater private. I enquired how long the waiting list would be in the beacon and was told they could see her next week, great I thought. So I asked about the price, the tone changed, €200 consultation, €150 to see derma every 4weeks for 6months. Very pricey!
I asked did she need to bring bloods, I was told, a secretary can't decide that. Ok fair enough. My wife brought a copy of her blood results from the end of August with her just in case.
When she arrived she was told "blood tests are too old" good candidate for roacutane, get ur bloods done at your gp, take another afternoon off work to come back in with said bloods, that'll be 200€.
Disgraceful carry on!
Rang the Mater and Blackrock and they seem to be all the same setup. It's a money making scheme if I ever saw one.
Can anyone recommend going foreign to see a consultant who can give a repeat prescription and our own gp in Ireland can keep an eye on the bloods.
Thanks for your help guys, eager to here your thoughts.

With waiting lists in the public service so long, its no wonder the private sector can charge what they like

Is it the Dublin thing with the costs? I know I can see a dermatologist locally for around €110 and the one who works from local hospital is around €140ish I think for first consultation, I can't remember what I paid last time. Wouldn't be waiting months either for an appointment.

It sounds like a money pit alright...

Do you have any private medical insurance cover for out patient benefits? They might refund 50% - 75% of the consultation costs.
Then you could see if the balance of your costs (50% - 100%) can be claimed as a MED1 expense for a 20% tax credit.

Ring around for prices OP, am fairly sure it was €140 for my mother's consultation in Waterford recently.

Roaccutane is a special case, because of the strength of the drug and the side effects - hence the constant need for checking in with the consultant. They basically should not be issuing a repeat prescription unless the bloods and pregnancy test (if applicable) are in order every month. There have been so many legal cases etc. over it that I can understand them covering themselves and sticking to the letter of the law in this case (even if you may get the odd doctor who is a bit flexible on these things)

It sounds like a money pit alright...

Do you have any private medical insurance cover for out patient benefits? They might refund 50% - 75% of the consultation costs.
Then you could see if the balance of your costs (50% - 100%) can be claimed as a MED1 expense for a 20% tax credit.

OK I looked into how much we can claim back through vhi and our med1 and its 25 back from vhi for the consultation and 25 back for the subsequent visits up to a max of 6, including the consultation, and the med 1 works out like this, 20% back off 200-25=175 and 20% back off 150-25=125. So it'd be 35 back for consultation and 25 back per visit. Bringing consultation cost down to 200-25-35=140 and per visit cost down to 150-25-25= 100.
Its an improvement for sure, but when you think of the setup in other countries (Holland, Nordic, etc) its not great. I know they've higher rates of overall tax, but when u add all our taxes together, surely we can expect something better?
Anyway, rant over. :rolleyes:

Back