Dept of Finance Launches Consultation on Tax Treatment of Rental Income

Discussion in 'Property investment and tenants' rights' started by Sarenco, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

On foot of a commitment contained in the Rebuilding Ireland – Strategy for the Rental Sector published by the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government (DHPCLG) in December 2016, a Working Group has been established to examine and report on the tax treatment of landlords (or rental accommodation providers), and to put forward options, where appropriate, for amendments to such treatment. The Working Group is chaired by the Department of Finance and its membership includes officials from DHPCLG, Revenue and the Residential Tenancies Board.

During the process of developing the Rebuilding Ireland strategy a public consultation was undertaken by DHPCLG on a broad range of issues relating to the housing market. A number of taxation issues were raised in the responses received to this consultation and the Working Group has decided to conduct a focused consultation seeking further detailed input from interested parties on these matters.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/sites/def... Consultation_taxation of rental income_3.pdf

Gordon Gekko and Andy836 like this.
  2. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

The objectives of this consultation are two-fold.

Firstly, it will inform the review being undertaken by the Working Group on the tax treatment of landlords to determine if it is fit for purpose in the current housing market and in the longer term.

Secondly, the submissions received will be reviewed as part of a process to determine if a policy rationale exists to introduce new reliefs or otherwise alter the tax system to incentivise landlords to remain in, or to enter, the residential accommodation market. This assessment will have regard to the wider regulatory framework for accommodation providers to ensure that any taxation proposals would not act merely as an alternative source of income for other control measures implemented by the Government.

This public consultation process will run from Friday 10 March to Friday 7 April 2017, a period of four weeks. Any submissions received after this date may not be considered.

3. Nordkapp

Nordkapp Frequent Poster

Many thanks Sarenco, I will be feeding into this.

4. Setanta12

Setanta12 Frequent Poster

If anyone has a link to a paper produced some years ago, where - I think - they argued in favour of the discrepancy and perceived unfairness* of treatment between prospective-residents and -investors; I'd love to re-read it.

*investors can be VAT registered and can claim back the VAT on a new-build straight-away, effectively immediately reducing the price payable by them. Prospective-residents have no such clawback available to them.

5. The Horseman

The Horseman New Member

Is this just the government trying to stem the exit of landlords from the market to buy them time to increase supply?

6. Nordkapp

Nordkapp Frequent Poster

Looks like that. I did feed back to them on all aspects, the one that most irks is the €14,000 ceiling tax free for rent-a-room. This is capital risk free compared to renting out a house and where there is no tax free exemption (if there is no mortgage) and certainly a route I will consider for the future. I also indicated that the goalposts change too often in regard to reliefs providing no certainty to investors and the 8 year depreciation for wear and tear items is a joke given white goods tend to last just 3 years.

Dermot likes this.
  7. T McGibney

T McGibney Frequent Poster

Where did you dream this? It's totally untrue.

8. Vanessa

Vanessa Frequent Poster

The rent a room scheme is wide open to abuse. My pal has his two bed apartment rented out. He keeps the electric and gas bill in his own name and all other correspondence for him goes to the address. He has an arrangement with the tenant as regards payment of utilities. Meanwhile he is living elsewhere with the girlfriend

Nordkapp likes this.
  9. JoeRoberts

JoeRoberts Frequent Poster

I too thought they had the option but needed to then charge vat on rental income...

10. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

I dont know where they go for tax advice in your part of the world, but a landlord can charge VAT on a letting.

See Revenue details here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/property-guide/letting-property-new-system.html

"the landlord may, with some exceptions, exercise an option to apply VAT to a letting".

It is usually disadvantageous to do so, but under certain circumstances it is done.

11. torblednam

torblednam Frequent Poster

Oh Cremeegg, you're going to make him really cross now!!

From the document you linked:
    6. Can the landlord's option to tax a letting apply in all cases? (Section 97(2))
    No. There are restrictions on the option to tax rents. The option to tax cannot apply in the following circumstances:

• Where the property is occupied for residential purposes. (See Section 97(4))

12. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Oh Dear! Mea Culpa. I really thought I had him there.

Apologies for the incorrect information and to Mr. McG for doubting him.

13. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

IPOA reaction to consultation reported here:-
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/cons...em-overhaul-under-department-review-1.3016144

I think the basic principle that the provision of residential accommodation should be taxed like any other business endeavour - no better and no worse - is absolutely sound. Any other treatment simply creates distortions in terms of the allocation of capital.

Equally, I don't see any need to re-introduce gimmicky tax reliefs or incentives - just allow for the deduction of legitimate expenses and the market will react appropriately.

The constant tinkering with the tax code, without any obvious principle or sound policy objective, gives rise to uncertainty and ultimately causes more problems than it solves.

T McGibney likes this.
  14. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

15. Nordkapp

Nordkapp Frequent Poster

This I pointed out to them in my response to the consultation paper. The uncertainty would put off any investor looking back over the last 12 to 15 years. Bacon reports 1 & 2, investor stamp duty on housing, NPPR, Household charge and LPT, USC applied to income etc etc

16. The Horseman

The Horseman New Member

The one sided approach by the state to landlords will have far reaching consequences. Until supply comes on line bed spaces will be lost as landlords exit the market. All landlords be they corporate or individual should be treated equally.

Interestingly I wonder how many landlords are aware of the new HAP scheme and why the other housing supports (RA and RAS) have been discontinued outside Dublin. The UK are facing a similar housing crisis and private landlords are now refusing to rent to tenants in receipt of housing support which is driving tenants out of the major cities.

We need a holistic approach to the current situation and looking solely at the Tax treatment is not enough. Without the right to mitigate your losses by changing the tax treatment is useless if you are not receiving rent due to over holding tenants.