Dependent Relative Tax Credits

Yes gInvestor. I did these a few years ago. You are entitled to claim back for the 4 years. The dependant relative Credit is seperate from Nursing Home costs so ensure you apply for both.

Thanks Lolly..

I called the PAYE crowd last week (1890777425) and the girl there told me (after having to check this out) that the Dependent Relative Tax Credit which is 80 euro does'nt need to be claimed if I'm submitting a MED1 form annually for costs associated with a nursing home. I assume you disagree with this ?

Can anyone tell me how this Dependent Relative Tax Creditof 80 euro works ? Is this 80 euro per year ?? that I dont pay any tax on ?

Thanks..

Basically, your tax payable is calculated on your taxable income and then reduced by the amount of any applicable credits, in this case by €80, so your paying €80 less tax.
But you aren't entitled to both Dependant Relative tax credit and Relief on Nursing Home costs. The relief on nursing home costs should be much more valuable.

Thanks Rambler, "relief on nursing home costs" - is this a tax relief ? I was only ever using the MED1 annually but assume this is the same ? Thanks..

I think it may have changed this year, but up to this year the cost of Nursing Home care (up to a max of €50000) was available as a relief, ie it was deducted from your income before arriving at your taxable income. Therefore if you paid tax at the higher rate 41%, you were getting relief at 41% of the nursing home cost. I think it has changed this year, so that irrespective of the tax rate you pay tax at 41% or 20%, its only available as a credit at the lower rate of 20%.
The fact that your claimimg it through using the MED1 shouldn't make any difference.

Back