Department of Finance submission

Brendan Burgess

Founder
www.finance.gov.ie/sites/default/files/DOF%20macro%20prudential%20comments%20%288Dec14%29.pdf

1) Thinks a 20% deposit might be too high - especially for FTBs
2) Wants the limits brought in gradually
3) Wants the LTI and LTV limits interlinked

It's quite repetitive, so here are the key excerpts

1. [FONT=&quot]In [/FONT][FONT=&quot]principle, there is a sound rationale for the introduction of macro-prudential measures and they are increasingly being adopted internationally.The introductionof appropriate loan-to-value (LTV) and loan-to-income (LTI)limitscould assist inthe curtailment of future bank-credit house price spirals and strengthen the resilience of the banking system and of the household sector against suddenhouse pricechanges.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] However, such proposals will also have wider economic [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]so[/FONT][FONT=&quot]cial i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ts [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ll [/FONT][FONT=&quot]have to be taken into account. Having regard to these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ider c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ns[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]de[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]tions a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]novel nature of the initiative in an Irish context, a ca[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e ca[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n [/FONT][FONT=&quot]be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]fo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r the adop[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ion [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of a more graduated approach to the formulation a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]plemen[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ati[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot] o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ma[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ro prudential measures on residential mortgage lending[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ll [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]cilita[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] an e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]alua[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]on [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and consideration of the impacts of this new initiati[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]on t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] econom[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ide[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r [/FONT][FONT=&quot]society, and also allow the measures to be fine-tuned as n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ce[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]sar[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]li[/FONT][FONT=&quot]gh[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ac[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ual developments.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Private home ownership remains the tenure of choic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e fo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r [/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]is[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ho[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]se[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ds. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT][FONT=&quot]is a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]reasonable and socially desirable objective for th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ose [/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ouseho[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ds [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ha[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ve [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]capacity to meet the costs of such housing, including t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]he c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pac[/FONT][FONT=&quot]it[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]epa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]mortgage[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]lt is important, therefore, that the financial system i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]os[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]tion[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nd [/FONT][FONT=&quot]is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]enab[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ed [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]help achieve this objective in a way that does not po[/FONT][FONT=&quot]se [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ri[/FONT][FONT=&quot]sk fo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]fi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]na[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ci[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot] s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ab[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ilit[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT][FONT=&quot]balance can best be achieved by the provision of rea[/FONT][FONT=&quot]so[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]abl[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]an[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sus[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]na[/FONT][FONT=&quot]b[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot] o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f [/FONT][FONT=&quot]mortgage finance to those households with a capacit[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]epa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ex[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nt th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]such finance will become less available, particularly i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot] t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]te[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m [/FONT][FONT=&quot]du[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to a sud[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]en [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and significant change in deposit requirements, to hou[/FONT][FONT=&quot]seho[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]wi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a ca[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]it[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]mortgage it will not only reduce the flow of first tim[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] buye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rke[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]b[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ut [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot] w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]il[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l [/FONT][FONT=&quot]also increase the demand in the private rental and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ho[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]sing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ecto[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]currently experiencing their own significant pressure[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rticu[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ar[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]re[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]al [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ma[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ke[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]already experiencing its own demand pressures a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pp[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]co[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ra[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nts and such a[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]measure could exacerbate it. In such a context, wher[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]fi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]me b[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rac[/FONT][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][FONT=&quot]record of meeting monthly rental payments that ar[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]co[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ab[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot] t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]mort[/FONT][FONT=&quot]g[/FONT][FONT=&quot]age [/FONT][FONT=&quot]payments that they would have on a newly purch[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ased [/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]bj[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ec[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ti[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ve [/FONT][FONT=&quot]grounds for arguing that an LTV limit of 80% will be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ul[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]str[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ve an[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]formulated in a more nuanced way that will seek to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ach[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]eve a more [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ro[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pr[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ia[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]overall balance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot], it would be a hel[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot] de[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]elop[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]en[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f[/FONT][FONT=&quot] th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] LTI [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]LTV measures, as outlined in the consultation paper[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nstead [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f bein[/FONT][FONT=&quot]g s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]epara[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]st[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]alone measures, could become more closely inter-linked; for example, if a household can demonstrate an ability to meet the proposed LTI ratio they shouldbe allowedto avail of mortgage finance up to an 90% LTV where there is a good reason whyit may not have been reasonably possible to secure more than a 10% deposit (e.g. paying rent) and subject also to meeting the CPC requirements on mortgage affordability.[/FONT]

12. [FONT=&quot]Another [/FONT][FONT=&quot]more graduated approach would be to have a lo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]er [/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]os[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]q[/FONT][FONT=&quot]uir[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]me[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot] fo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r [/FONT][FONT=&quot]first time buyers in general. This would be in recogniti[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot] that s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h [/FONT][FONT=&quot]house[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]lds a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]very likely to have other significant life costs (e.g. ren[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ch[/FONT][FONT=&quot]il[/FONT][FONT=&quot]dcare} [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]hil[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]may be in a position to demonstrate a mortgage r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ym[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ent [/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]aci[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ell prevent the concurrent accumulation of a demanding d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]equire[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]gai[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]f [/FONT][FONT=&quot]course, the CPC requirements would also be a relevant consid[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ti[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

a [FONT=&quot]mortgage it will not only reduce the flow of first tim[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] buye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rke[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]b[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ut [/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot] w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]il[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l [/FONT][FONT=&quot]also increase the demand in the private rental and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ho[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]sing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ecto[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]currently experiencing their own significant pressure[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot];[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rticu[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ar[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]re[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nt[/FONT][FONT=&quot]al [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ma[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ke[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]already experiencing its own demand pressures a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pp[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]co[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ra[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nts and such a[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]measure could exacerbate it. In such a context, wher[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]fi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rs[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]me b[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ye[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]rac[/FONT][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][FONT=&quot]record of meeting monthly rental payments that ar[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]co[/FONT][FONT=&quot]m[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pa[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ab[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot] t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]mort[/FONT][FONT=&quot]g[/FONT][FONT=&quot]age [/FONT][FONT=&quot]payments that they would have on a newly purch[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ased [/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]bj[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ec[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ti[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ve [/FONT][FONT=&quot]grounds for arguing that an LTV limit of 80% will be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ul[/FONT][FONT=&quot]y [/FONT][FONT=&quot]r[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][FONT=&quot]str[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ve an[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d [/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]h[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]u[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d[/FONT][FONT=&quot] be [/FONT][FONT=&quot]formulated in a more nuanced way that will seek to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ach[/FONT][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]eve a more [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ro[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pr[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ia[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e [/FONT][FONT=&quot]overall balance.[/FONT]

I was beginning to think I was a lone voice on this issue. Let us hope that common sense prevails and those FTB's who demonstrate adequate affordability are catered for!

Notwithstanding the "independence" of the Irish Central Bank, I think it is very unlikely the rules as originally proposed will be implemented in the face of a formal submission like this from the DoF.

Back