Dentist says she's not on the PRSI dental panel

stuffit

I know I'm qualified to receive PRSI dental benefit as I've been working continuously for the last 8 years.

My dentist does not stock the claim forms and is refusing to administer the scheme.

Thus I cannot claim the tax benefits that are my right e.g. Cost of filling, cleaning, x-rays etc.

Is this allowed?

Can I claim the benefit from the Tax Office? The MED2 form doesn't seem to cover 'minor' dental procedures.

I feel very angry that I'm paying PRSI for all my working and have been denied my entitlement. Is there a regulatory body to which I can report the dentist?

The dentist is well within their rights to refuse to operate this scheme. You are well within your rights to shop elsewhere. Why don't you?.

My point is I'm ENTITLED to money from the tax man.
This entitlement is based on my PRSI contributions.

The dentist by refusing to sign the claim form is STEALING from me.
For all I know she's claiming the tax back for herself.

I don't see why I should accept this. Would you turn the other cheek if you were robbed and you knew who did it?

I know I'm qualified to receive PRSI dental benefit as I've been working continuously for the last 8 years.

My dentist does not stock the claim forms and is refusing to administer the scheme.

Thus I cannot claim the tax benefits that are my right e.g. Cost of filling, cleaning, x-rays etc.
Are you confusing PRSI Treatment Benefit with MED2 tax relief here or something? You can claim tax relief on otherwise unreimbursed qualifying medical/dental expenses incurred.
Can I claim the benefit from the Tax Office? The MED2 form doesn't seem to cover 'minor' dental procedures.
Not all medical/dental procedures/expenses are covered for MED1/2 tax relief.
I feel very angry that I'm paying PRSI for all my working and have been denied my entitlement. Is there a regulatory body to which I can report the dentist?
Joe Duffy?

If your dentist doesn't accept PRSI contributions towards fillings, teeth cleaning every 6 months etc etc then change your dentist and tell them why you are leaving the practice. I did.

My old dentist didn't beg me to stay or change his policy but at least now I do have a dentist that provides me with better value for money.

That's all you can do.

there is no onus or requirement on any dentist to accept/participate in the prsi scheme.
you need to obtain an approved d1 form from the dept in order to access care.
you need to contact the dept in this regard.
A dentist is entitled to charge you privately in the event you have not obtained this form and is not required to refund any private charges.
Some practices can assist patients in this preapproval process, but it is your entitlement and you need to verify it prior to attending.
In this case you did not do so ie no d1 form, and you did not verify that the practice was on the panel.
Your mistake, unfortunately.

If a dentist is not on the Treatment Benefit panel, then they have absolutely no obligation to process your claim. Dentists do not have to participate in this scheme; it is voluntary on their part. Find another dentist that is on the panel. (All you have to do is ask the staff if the practice is on the panel)

Back