Defendent hasn't made an appearance

I am hearing all the replies from solicitors on here but its what I choose to take on it another thing. Its a terrible indictment on the legal profession and those in postions of trust who cannot be trusted!

What are you talking about now? Are you seriously tarnishing the whole legal profession in Ireland based on whatever responses you get here and/or whatever bad experience you may have had in the real world with whatever solicitor or two you had previously engaged?

One or two bad experiences (including the "horror stories" ala Byrne and Lynn in the media) is not indicative of a body of over 10,000 practicing solicitors.

I think the Gardai faced similiar in the aftermath of Morris, again the corrupt few should not reflect the vast majority.

A man who represents himself has a fool for a client...I've seen it on so many levels before.

Mc. I think you echo the thoughts and instinct of so many others that have read this thread.

Mc. I think you echo the thoughts and instinct of so many others that have read this thread.

Agreed. Including those who have no legal background whatsoever. It's plain bad manners to ask for advice and the bad mounth those who offer it (even if you do not like the advice given).

Thread Closed ;)

Agreed. Including those who have no legal background whatsoever. It's plain bad manners to ask for advice and the bad mounth those who offer it (even if you do not like the advice given).

Thread Closed ;)

If you notice the ones that didnt offer any positive advice is the ones that are getting there backs up now. I bad mouthed people that offered advice? You may want to go back in read the thread and you will in fact find that I had thanked on two occasions on those that had something positive to offer.

A friend of a friend recently started studying Law and the first day the Lecture said "come on lets everybody start lieing now, come on your all training to be barrister and solicitors."

I rest my case!

"A friend of a friend recently started studying Law and the first day the Lecture said "come on lets everybody start lieing now, come on your all training to be barrister and solicitors.""

You do know what hearsay is, don't you?:rolleyes:

"A friend of a friend recently started studying Law and the first day the Lecture said "come on lets everybody start lieing now, come on your all training to be barrister and solicitors.""

You do know what hearsay is, don't you?:rolleyes:

This is factual information I can assure you that. The lecture that had told them was actually the Lord Mayors wife she too was a solicitor.

OP I tried to understand what was going on by reading your other threads but I gave up. You seem to think that the whole world is against you even when you have been given very good advice on here. How do you expect people to help you with an attitude like that? The best advice you have been given is 'a man who represents himself has a fool for a client' I've no problem with people going to court themselves but not when they have absolutely not one notion of what they are doing nor will they take good free advice from AAM.

OP I tried to understand what was going on by reading your other threads but I gave up. You seem to think that the whole world is against you even when you have been given very good advice on here. How do you expect people to help you with an attitude like that? The best advice you have been given is 'a man who represents himself has a fool for a client' I've no problem with people going to court themselves but not when they have absolutely not one notion of what they are doing nor will they take good free advice from AAM.
I'm inclined to agree - and I don't ply the trade that you seem to disrespect so much.

I've helped before, but your attitude makes me less inclined to.

John Joe

If you are really taking a personal injuries action as a lay litigant againt several defendants, have you sent an O'Byrne letter to each defendant before issuing proceedings?

If you didn't you may be exposing yourself to costs orders.

John Joe

If you are really taking a personal injuries action as a lay litigant againt several defendants, have you sent an O'Byrne letter to each defendant before issuing proceedings?

If you didn't you may be exposing yourself to costs orders.

This is something my solicitor should have done at the start of the case however I don't believe it was done. Each defendant got a Personal Injury summons which had 'General Endorsement of Claim' that about it.

You come across as a bit of a spoof and an idiot.

Your comment is uncalled for. They say truth hurts and this definitely proves it.

I refer to my comment above in relation to the O Byrne letter. There is the possibility that I could be screwed for legal cost because my Solicitor didn't issue an O Byrne letter and you then give off to me coming on here looking for help. I am going to have to pay the price for my Solicitors Malpractice? You should clearly see why I have no confidence in Solicitors and this is why I will not engage in another!

My reading of your saga is as follows: -

You had a disagreement with your solicitor regarding these proceedings and they came off record, as a result of which the High Court ordered them to give you your file.

If you had read your file you would have seen if the solicitor had sent an initiating letter to the Defendant(s) in your case. If they had not, and no other pleadings had been served, and you were insisting on proceeding with the action there was nothing to stop you from issuing such a letter yourself. You cannot now blame the solicitor if you are insisting on proceeding with an action as a lay litigant.

You then drafted a Plenary Summons and attempted to serve it on the Defendant - regardless of the fact that this appears from the scanty information given to be a personal injuries action which has its own particular set of pleadings.

You have persistently looked for advice on this topic over the last 8 months and have been whiny about any opinions expressed that contradict your strongly held beliefs.

If you can't trust a solicitor to run this action for you, why should anonymous posters on an internet forum be any better placed to advise you?

Last edited:
Let me get this straight - you don't trust solicitors so have decided to run your case yourself. You then ask for advice here to aid you to do this. Why do you trust the advice provided by (potentially) legal advisors here? Is it because

1. You trust virtual advice more than professional advice? or
2. Is it because it's free?

If the answer to 1 is yes - then no offence but you are a fool. If the answer to 2 is yes them I'm afriad your case is doomed.....

Back