"declaring" oneself a millionaire

Graham_07

Often in the past have heard someone saying that "so & so" had just had to "declare" him/herself a millionaire. Then it died down a bit and now I've heard it again the other day. Now I know millionaires are more plentiful than before but I have never managed to find any legislation or other official documentation which states that there is any such requirement. Has anyone else come across this or is it just one of those " urban financial legends" or a way for someone to seem to be seen as "a bit above"

Understood, I must say I heard it more 20 years ago ( when it meant more I guess ) But now it's surfaced again. PErhaps it could be more relevant to declare a "billionaire" !

Did hear that expression beig used - but not in a long time - it has certainly lost its significance these days. Its the Forbes list of billionaires rating these days.

I am declaring myself a Zimbabwean Dollar millionaire today. I could be a billionaire tomorrow.

It`s just an "old wives tale". Just one of those silly things that everyone has heard of and yet never knows the true story.

I am declaring myself a Zimbabwean Dollar millionaire today. I could be a billionaire tomorrow.

Make that gazillionaire, its now an hour later in zimbabwe since u posted !

No scratch that....how about a GOOGOLaire...its now 5 past ten

Ive heard 'being declared a bankrupt' , not quite the same thing!
Perhaps just an inversion of this phrase.

No, that's an official status/action, governed by legal procedure. The relevant basic legislation covering bankruptcy in Ireland is [broken link removed].

Understood, I must say I heard it more 20 years ago ( when it meant more I guess ) But now it's surfaced again. PErhaps it could be more relevant to declare a "billionaire" !

I had heard that saying many times in the past, say 15 years ago. My heart just skiped a beat, 15 years ago!! I'm getting old!!

Jaid

i remember hearing that phrase years ago as well but it was by a moron who was using it as a means to declare to all his "friends" that he had come into some money.

there is no such official declaration

There is somthing about becoming a "high net worth" individual - I don't know what the sum is perhaps 1 Million $US not including the family home. I guess this can be declared in some sense.

I think one needs to be defined as a "professional investor" or of "High Net Worth" to participate in some types of investments e.g hedge funds.

I am sure others here know far more about this.

I wonder why they picked 6 million ? ....off the thread goes again.

Presumable because thats how much it cost to make the changes...or are you suggesting we have been hoodwinked, and that the show was in some way fictional?

Presumable because thats how much it cost to make the changes...or are you suggesting we have been hoodwinked, and that the show was in some way fictional?
Maybe it was only 5 million and he was ripped off. I think we should send Oscar Goldman a pile of nappies...

Back