Death of a Shareholder

R

Robskiola

I was hoping someone could help with advice or point me in the right direction.

My friend's father owned a number of shares in an organisation. He died in 1992. He left his shares in this organisation to my friend.

I am unaware if the appropriate grant was taken out in respect of my friend's father's estate. However, my friend wrote to this organisation about three years ago, enquiring about what happened to the shares his father held. They responded with a letter saying that when his father died in 1992 they sent the appropriate letter and transfer form to him but that he had never responded. My friend claims that he never received any letter or transfer form. He unfortunately is not aware if the shares were appropriated or not.

If this organisation has a generic articles of association (Table A), what would be the status of his father's shares now. He is anxious to discover if he has any remedies/recourse as property held by the organisation is quite valuable and there is talk it is to be sold. If the shares have been sold on, have the directors/shareholders acted unlawfully in allowing this?

I apologise about the length of this thread. Thanks

If a publicly quoted company on a stock exchange, why not write to the registrar and ask if father is still a shareholder. The shares cannot simply be appropiated by the other shareholders is a quoted company. if a private one, then presumably the articles detail how shares can be traded.

Back