credit card for new user

R

rory

I have never had a credit card , but i have decided to take the plunge this year

what would be the best card for a forty five with modest needs and a reasonable salary

I don't intend to go mad on it but just it for booking flights, cinema tickets etc and in case of emergencies
is there asny cards out there that you don't have to pay the stamp duty on

thank you

Hi rory

The key is to pay off the balance owing on time to avoid interest. I don't think that there is a huge difference between the cards if you do this. You might find one card has a longer interest free period than the others.

Amex Blue is recommended because you get back 1% of your purchases. But if you don't use it that much, it's not that important.

I have heard rough stories about MBNA's treatment of people in trouble so I would avoid them.

Visa seems to be the most commonly accepted, so I would recommend that you go for a Visa card through your own bank and set up a direct debit to pay it off in full each month.

Brendan

Hi rory

will pay your stamp duty and give you points on your shopping to boot!

Seems like a good deal to me.

Always clear your bill in full each month to avoid paying interest.

Marion :hat

It doesn't seem to be widely mentioned, but if you get a Tesco Visa card, you get 'clubcard' points on all purchases (not just in Tesco).

It works out at the equivalent of .5% cashback (in vouchers, though). I use it for places which won't take my Amex Blue !

credit card

thanks everyone

think I'll go for the Tesco one as I shop there all the time

credit card

if you didn't apply for tesco card yet......new customers will have gov. stamp duty paid .........normally you have to spend 4,000 euro to cover cost of stamp duty.
cards are very useful; be sure to pay bill in full every month ( I pay mine by direct debit)

Back