Credit Card Debt & Credit report

Robert4

hello,..I have a Credit Card Debt going back over 10 yrs, the last demand was nearly 2 yrs ago, no judgment was registered against me, I got my Credit report (ICB) but there is no mention of it, is there any way to find out if it has been written off ??..I have no assets, I could make a small offer in full and final payment, but I don't want to stir up sleeping dogs etc....any suggestions from anyone who has gone down this road..??..Robert

If your ICB showed nothing,it means you have a clear ICB ie clear credit history.In other words what is past is finished.
Do not even think about making offer , you will only open what is closed !

Thanks for reply Gerry, that's what I'm afraid of doing!!..but also I'm wondering can it re-surface at a later date ??..does anyone know, in particular if Bank of Ireland Credit Card sold on their bad debts to a fund..??..

Very very unlikely to ever surface again.

All Banks will sell bad debt if anyone offers them even a Euro for that debt .
After this length of time its is very improbable that you even exist on their books ,as its now statute barred and effectively unenforceable .
ie , rest easy !

Thanks again Gerry, can I ask, why do you say it is statute barred ??..although it originated nearly 10yrs ago, there was a demand made about 2yrs ago, so it was still live then ??..

Statute barred means that they have not received activity on ac for 6 + years and in going to court they cannot win , it doesn,t mean the debt does not exist ,it does though mean it is unenforceable .
In the real world debts are effectively {disappeared} and never can resurface as per your ICB .
I am comfortable in telling you to forget about it and/or any more demands.

A debt is "Statute Barred" when you have not made a payment or acknowledged the liability (usually in writing) within 6 years. After this time the debt cannot be pursued through the courts and this would be a valid defence. If you make a payment or acknowledge liability the 6 years start again. The making of a demand from you does not extend the time but if legal proceedings are issued the time starts again. An exception would be if judgment has been obtained against you as this can be enforced for 12 years from the date of Judgment regardless of any payment.

Back