Costa Blanca: any thoughts on the area near Torrevieja ie cabo roig /La zenia for HH?

chasie

Are there any thoughts on the area near Torrevieja ie cabo roig /La zenia as location for a holliday home

Re: costa Blanca

It's overbuilt, overpriced, crime ridden, prostitute laden, and it's home to some off our costa criminals. If you can turn a blind eye to the hookers on the roundabout at Paddy's Point, the charmless strip development along Cabo Roig/La Zenia, the acres of houses side by side, youc an get good value there. But you will have difficulty selling.

Slim

But is this not true of all the Spanish Costas
My requirments are

Weather
Value for money
Ease of acess from Ireland

ok Slim, where would you recommend then, espaecially for resale in the future

Hi,

Have a place between punta prima and play flamenca have 2 kids - funny they never notice the prostitutes - I will say one thing spain is very family orientated - crime - biggest crime is burglaries so just have your place well sorted. There are quality developments - I live in one of them during holidyas and have very nice neighbours. If you take slim's advice if he or she is Irish you're better to stay in crime free ireland where the sun always shines and oh another thing - you're sure to sell your house if you put it up for sale!!!! I love where we are, don't think I have tacky taste, great location near shops restaurants, beaches and two airports and cost of living is an awful lot cheaper and people around where we live "seem to be happy". Look up www.spanishpropertyinsight.com and post your question there also - costa blanca is a large area.

Angela59

Last edited:

ok Slim, where would you recommend then, espaecially for resale in the future

well, I'm no oracle. I have actually been tempted by Polaris world near Murcia, had flights booked to have a look, but cancelled(at my own expense) as I became aware of the water problem there.

I also know of a beautiful semi detached with a pool being sold at the end of the "strip", tempted myself but it is on the market a long time. There is great value, in terms of affordability, in the area but I think reselling is going to be a problem. I have been visiting there for a few years now and what they have done on the inland side of the coastal road at Torrevieja is only shocking. You need to visit to get a sense of it.

Angela59 seems to have got into a good development, but what I said above goes for the majority of that area. By the way, the best areas are those where there is some semblance of Spain left.

If you want to buy there, it is a good time to bargain.

slim

Hi Slim,

Certainly is a good time to buy at the moment in spain - like Ireland you have the pick of the crop. One piece of advice if you are buying in an urbanisation and again it depends on what you want but I wanted to buy where there were other nationalities - spanish, scandanavian, german, dutch, english and irish - I didn't just want to end up with a load of irish neighbours - so research on this end. I live in Zeniamar and it is quiet and reserved but not that reserved they don't like children and yet you are close enough to everything to get the buzz if that's what you want. I did a lot of my research over the internet regarding various areas in spain and bought books about buying in spain - inform yourself as much as you can. I do think the strip along cabo roig is tacky and busy also. If I were you I would rent for a week or two and have a good look around that area.

Best of luck

Angela59

Hi Slim,

Certainly is a good time to buy at the moment in spain - like Ireland you have the pick of the crop. One piece of advice if you are buying in an urbanisation and again it depends on what you want but I wanted to buy where there were other nationalities - spanish, scandanavian, german, dutch, english and irish - I didn't just want to end up with a load of irish neighbours - so research on this end. I live in Zeniamar and it is quiet and reserved but not that reserved they don't like children and yet you are close enough to everything to get the buzz if that's what you want. I did a lot of my research over the internet regarding various areas in spain and bought books about buying in spain - inform yourself as much as you can. I do think the strip along cabo roig is tacky and busy also. If I were you I would rent for a week or two and have a good look around that area.

Best of luck

Angela59

You seem very happy from what you have posted here and before and that is great. I'm not currently looking in Spain, looking in France. Mrs. Slim was freaked out by the security procedures necessary in Torrevieja and the fact that two doors away got burgled while we were there. In fairness, they had been warned to fit alarms but didn't. There is very good value in Cabo Roig at the moment, 2 bed, communal pool, for €150k. (this was said to me a month ago or so by a friend who is looking).

If you can stay there for the long haul, you should be ok. Enjoy. Slim

We have a small apartment in the town of Torrevieja, and while I love it there, if I had my time over again, I'd rent rather than buy. There is so much over building it will take a decade for it to settle down again.

One thing I am grateful for is that we didn't buy in those endless dead estates like La Florida, Playa Flamenca, Cabo Roig and so on. Where we are, we have loads of Spanish around us and it is much better. The agents used to say Terry Wogan has a house there in Cabo Roig. He sold it years ago because he saw the way it was headed, and decamped to France.

Also, if I was to buy, I'd buy a resale not a new build because the value (such as it is) is much better. Most lose money in selling unless you bought years ago.

If I had spare cash, I'd be buying a rental property near a hospital or uni in England, and rent a villa for 3 weeks in Torrevieja.

BTW, I would stay well clear of Polarisworld as well. It's in the middle of nowhere.

Hi,

Tend to agree with mumha about polaris world. With regard to your property in you do buy if you are not renting it out you really need to get the use out of it to make it worth your while - don't forget you have to pay wealth tax for the luxury of owning a house in spain and then you have to pay your suma which is a local council tax. I use my apartment when kids are off school so I use it in october, end Dec, Easter and summer for about 5 weeks and the odd weekend so it is worth our while and I love the estate we are in - do you figures first as sometimes it may be worth your while to rent a place during the summer for 1 month or so.

Hi,

Tend to agree with mumha about polaris world. With regard to your property in you do buy if you are not renting it out you really need to get the use out of it to make it worth your while - don't forget you have to pay wealth tax for the luxury of owning a house in spain and then you have to pay your suma which is a local council tax. I use my apartment when kids are off school so I use it in october, end Dec, Easter and summer for about 5 weeks and the odd weekend so it is worth our while and I love the estate we are in - do you figures first as sometimes it may be worth your while to rent a place during the summer for 1 month or so.

We don't get the use out of it as much as I would like, but hopefully in time we will. It is costing us about 2,500 euro a year for all costs but we don't rent out because then we wouldn't be able to leave our stuff there, and in any case, I wouldn't trust the agents to look after it. I know people who rent their places but they have had some bad experiences like the agent renting the apartment but not telling you they had done so, and pocketing the rent money. You are unlikely to ever find out.

Hi Mumha,

Don't rent ours either - again have ready to many horror storries and we use ours a good bit so we have a good attachment to it. Also there are that many places to rent you really would want to be in a good location to rent. From talking to people where I live there is good long term rental to be had but you wouldn't get as much as short term rental.

We have a 5th floor apartment in Torrevieja since 2005 near playa los locos.Best money we ever spent! love it. don't need a car. 3 minutes walk from from the beach. 3 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk. 10 minutes to a huge market on fridays. People with property there can apply for a bus pass which means that all bus journeys within the municipal area are free. Plenty of bars spanish and other nationalities and of couse there are a few Irish and English bars too. We have heard of a few unlucky people who have been mugged and burgled but that could happen anywhere. Would stay away from la zenia and cabo roig etc.........unless of course you are looking for an English or Irish suburb with better weather! Don't know about resale value. There are lots of places for sale. We don't rent ours out. Leave clothes etc there Ryan air to Murcia or Alicante Hand luggage only. Bliss....heading off again next week!

El Carmoli near Murcia, small spanish village with friendly people and great sea views, just back from a holiday there it's like Ireland in the old days.
Lots of property for sale

Re: Costa Blanca: any thoughts on the area near Torrevieja ie cabo roig /La zenia for

Just a reminder...this area is primarily an overseas property investment section. While they are related, posts discussing how nice it is to live/holiday in overseas destinations should be discussed in the travel/holidays section.

So, discuss capital appreciation, return on investment, overseas taxes and rental income here and discuss weather and how nice or not nice a place it is in travel/holiday.

aj
(moderator)

Re: Costa Blanca: any thoughts on the area near Torrevieja ie cabo roig /La zenia for

I hope,i am wrong as i own property in Spain,but i cannot see any investment or capital appreciation in the short to medium term.as i think they have ruined the place by building too much and no longer seems like Spain.I went for the weather which it will always have and ease of access which it retains.but they really need to do something about the crime in certain areas

I agree, Jack, but the medium term will eat into the longer medium term I think. Rather than prohibit any further development, you have the likes of Polarisworld continuing to be built. As long as they allow that sort of development the market will continue to be flooded and that will prolong the return of capital appreciation.

Back