Cost to build a house?

D

deadl0ck

I know this is a very general question, but excluding the site, what is the approx. average cost to build a standard 2 storey house (say around 2,000 - 2,500 square foot).

I'm just looking for ballpark figures really, so I have some sort of idea of what to expect.

I'd probablly build with sperate contractors for each part, as opposed to a single builder who does everything start to finish. I believe this would be chearer (or the same price but better qualkity materials).

Any info/figures would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks !

Anywhere between €80 sq yd to €200 sq yard depending on location in county, direct labour vs contractor, overall finish of the property (ie basic everything v natural slate roof, granite windowsills etc).
I am hoping to build if I ever get my pp (grr) & really I think until you decide on the details it is very difficult to budget.

I know some friends who built a 3000sq ft house for less than €200k however they literally did 50% of the work themselves - they were working on the house every weekend for a year and a half & got a lot of relatives etc to do work at discount prices etc.

If you are going direct labour then you really do need to know what you are doing.....or hire a site supervisor to do it for you.

Anywhere between €80 sq yd to €200 sq yard
Do you mean square foot ??

2,500 sq foot = 277 sq yard

277 X 200 = €55,400

Which can't be right.

Standard QS building rates for 2006 are €1,500 - €2,500 psm
This figure seems excessive, even at the cheapest figure (1500)
2,500 sq foot = 232 sq meter
232 X 1500 = €348,000 for the cheapest estimate !

Or maybe I'm being Naive....

Its the higher figure unfortunately - but thats the published QS all in figures so all inclusive (would include an element of contingency etc). The usual rule of thumb for 'standard' houses is €100 psf & add ons

Sounds about the price I thought.

I was budgeting around 300K for something between 2,000 and 2,500 sq foot without the site

Sounds about right - also depends on the part of the country you re in. And builders are very aware of SSIA money washing around at the moment so be careful.

I'd have to redo the sums but I'm almost certain we were less than €80 p.sq.ft. Say €220,000 for 2,750 sq ft.

Was timberframe so wasnt extra cheap or anything, & a dormer so a bit more complex in terms of the roof. Also got a builder to organise the trades so that price wasnt even direct labour.

Did plenty of sourcing of fittings etc & cleaning/painting etc. but nothing much in the line of tradesmans work (laminate floors would be about it).

That QS figure in particular looks for the birds.

Was building in the Mid-West in 2004.

deadl0ck said:
Do you mean square foot ??

2,500 sq foot = 277 sq yard

277 X 200 = €55,400

Which can't be right.

This figure seems excessive, even at the cheapest figure (1500)
2,500 sq foot = 232 sq meter
232 X 1500 = €348,000 for the cheapest estimate !

Or maybe I'm being Naive....

Yes sorry - per square foot rather than sq yard!!

deadl0ck said:
Sounds about the price I thought.

I was budgeting around 300K for something between 2,000 and 2,500 sq foot without the site
With a bit of shopping around I dont see why you couldnt build for around €100 - €120 per sq. foot. You may find you will have to wait to get the proper builder, that is one who is competent and is not sticking the arm in. A lot depends on where you ar located as prices vary a lot from place to place.

My advice would be to approach a good local builder who has plenty of experience in one off house building and ask him what you are asking here basically

Building a modern two storey house 3,100 sq.ft in Donegal, Timberframed, Geothermal heating system, balconies and lots of glazing (floor to ceiling). Doing it for €265,000 or €85 per sq.ft. This will include everything except painting (int & ext) and floor coverings. Contractor doing it, not direct labour!

Cost of building in the country

I'm now thinking of buying a new site (see previous thread on "problems with builder" in this forum) and am curious as to the prices of building in the country. I have 2 sites in mind each one approx 2120 sq. ft.. Usual extras apply with septic tanks, effeluent treatment, building stone wall at front etc. The finish has to be in nap plaster or dash and windows at front and door have to be hardwood.

anyone out there have any idea of building costs in west of ireland..

cheers

Mav

Thats a good price from a builder i must say! I am building shortly also and hope to build it for €60 a square foot it 3,017SQ ft in total

Re: Cost of building in the country

Maverick74 said:
I'm now thinking of buying a new site (see previous thread on "problems with builder" in this forum) and am curious as to the prices of building in the country. I have 2 sites in mind each one approx 2120 sq. ft.. Usual extras apply with septic tanks, effeluent treatment, building stone wall at front etc. The finish has to be in nap plaster or dash and windows at front and door have to be hardwood.

cheers

Mav

Builder or direct labour to build the house?

Zutz said:
Building a modern two storey house 3,100 sq.ft in Donegal, Timberframed, Geothermal heating system, balconies and lots of glazing (floor to ceiling). Doing it for €265,000 or €85 per sq.ft. This will include everything except painting (int & ext) and floor coverings. Contractor doing it, not direct labour!
That would sound good to me. I've lost track of prices over the last 12 - 18 months but it was in around €80 per sq. ft. at that time. I would have guessed about €90/ft for Donegal and as everyone knows the cost of building is anything from 10% - 30% dearer than that when you head south.

Im in Donegal myself

Maverick74 said:

cheers

Mav

Finished our house here in "the west" (roscommon may border) last august - 2250 sq ft dormer - one builder did the foundation, walls, roof,plasterboard - all the other jobs were done by separate tradesmen - plasterer, elecs, plumbing,tiling, carpentry.
The total finished price - incl lawn , front stone wall, effluent treatment, detached garage , was €160k. (painting, tiling, floor covering, kitchen not included).

see more at http://self-build-in-ireland.blogspot.com

Thats a really good price Irishlinks! How long did the build take from start to finish!!Was it a block build or TF?

This is all very interesting. I have been researching building a small stone and slate cottage in West Clare. I have some land with it's own bit of beach and I can't wait to be able to use it.

I was reckoning on 85 euros per square foot built but not decorated.

Many of the insurance companies have rebuilding cost calculators which take account of the part of the country you live in. They have them on their website.

One of them ,I forget which one but it was one of the major ones even asks you questions about type of construction , floor finishes boundary finishes etc. to get an accurate figure.

Back