Cost of LPG heating

Hi all! I am living in an apt. We have a bulk gas tank outside. Can anybody tell me how much does it cost to fill up a 1200 litres lpg bulk nowadays? My question is because i am charged by 5 euro per cubicmeter. And i think it's way more than anything. It is not a supplier price this is what the landlord tell me without any proof. I just wanna know how far is this from the truth.

Last edited:
Bulk LPG is around [broken link removed] per litre. 1 cubic meter is 3.85 litres.

Floras LPG price increase effective from 23rd jan 0.0681 cent per litre inclusive of VAT.

Has anyone an update on the cost of installing a FLOGAS tank, can the cost be added to the bill? Thnx.

Has anyone an update on the cost of installing a FLOGAS tank, can the cost be added to the bill? Thnx.
Hi,
I looked into this during the summer, but not a job for this year.
There are only 2 gas suppliers: Calor or Flogas.
If you buy your own tank outright, you can choose between them for each fill.
However, the more common option is to rent the tank. But you're then tied to that supplier for a contract term, and until you change the tank!. The only upfront cost is you have to put in a concrete slab for the tank to be placed on. The supplier is responsible for the maintenance of tank, and insurance.
If you call them, they'll discuss with you, and determine size of thank you need. I can't find the figures I had.

I didn't know you could buy your own tank, is that a fairly new option? It definitely was not there before, renting was the only option as they had to regularly service it.

I switched from Calor to Flogas a few years back, didn't have to pay for putting in new tank at the time but it is rented so annual cost.

Not possible to buy your own tank as supplier needs to have responsibility for it.I also moved from Calor to Flogas 6 years ago.

I switched from Calor to Flogas a few years back, didn't have to pay for putting in new tank at the time but it is rented so annual cost.
Did they replace the tank when you switched, or just change a label on it? It's about 6 months since I talked to them, but I think they said they can't fill another suppliers tank. I was looking at converting from oil to gas, but bigger jobs came up first, so I didn't look into it fully.

I obviously got the bit about buying tank completely wrong.

Yes they replaced the tank, Calor came and took theirs away and Flogas installed a new one, major palaver! It didn't cost me anything even though Calor tried to charge some fee or other but Flogas said there should not be a fee so after much back and forth sure enough Calor charged nothing.

Hallo Claonback, Montbretia,
It is indeed possible to buy a Gas tank - I have had one for a number of years.
The responsibility for maintaining the tank then rests with the owner - we have recently had ours inspected and recertified by a company qualified to do this.
We generally phone around to get the best price for gas when we need a refill.
There are other suppliers than Flogas and Calor - Tervas for example in Cork. Don't know if there are others around the country.

Interesting, is there any saving I wonder? What does it cost to get tank serviced and how often does it have to be done? In fairness the rental cost is not high at the moment with Flogas although I changed from Calor because they were increasing their rental substantially.

I have never seen or heard of any other gas supplier in my area and doubt there is, might be more options in larger population areas but I'd say we are stuck with just two here.

Flogas now charging 69.63 per litre inclusive of Vat and carbon tax.I have a 2 year contracted price of 64 cent all in but they just increased to 69.63

I have just been quoted 1.14 per litre (includes VAT and Carbon Tax) from Flogas despite being a customer for many years.
They confirmed on the phone that each customer is charged a different price.Seems incredible coupled with the fact they have not reduced any of their prices yet.
That's a bit annoying! I am on a fixed rate for a year, well I'd say it's up now since end Jan but while it was fixed when I took it if the price decreased (which of course it didn't ) they would honour that too.

I kicked up last year over an increase in the tank rental and they advised me ring my local rep to see if there was anything he could do, I had never heard of him or had any dealings with him since I went to Flogas. Anyway he offered a one year contrace with a reduced rental and the fixed rate offer so I went with it.

How much are you using in the year? This really annoys me about both suppliers that they increase your unit price if you are not using enough. I got a phone call last year from some company doing a survey for Flogas, I explained I thought it was very wrong to be doing this, 2020/21 we had Covid and war and Leo telling us conserve energy and when I did that like a good little citizen (for the benefit of my own costs too obviously) all I got was the price increased by Flogas so I would have been better off keeping my heat on longer and using more gas than trying to reduce. It's a mad system. It's not like I cost them anymore than a bigger user, in fact less as I just take usually one delivery about every 10 months, should start costing them more by ordering couple of hundred quids worth every time instead!

That's a bit annoying! I am on a fixed rate for a year, well I'd say it's up now since end Jan but while it was fixed when I took it if the price decreased (which of course it didn't ) they would honour that too.

I kicked up last year over an increase in the tank rental and they advised me ring my local rep to see if there was anything he could do, I had never heard of him or had any dealings with him since I went to Flogas. Anyway he offered a one year contrace with a reduced rental and the fixed rate offer so I went with it.

How much are you using in the year? This really annoys me about both suppliers that they increase your unit price if you are not using enough. I got a phone call last year from some company doing a survey for Flogas, I explained I thought it was very wrong to be doing this, 2020/21 we had Covid and war and Leo telling us conserve energy and when I did that like a good little citizen (for the benefit of my own costs too obviously) all I got was the price increased by Flogas so I would have been better off keeping my heat on longer and using more gas than trying to reduce. It's a mad system. It's not like I cost them anymore than a bigger user, in fact less as I just take usually one delivery about every 10 months, should start costing them more by ordering couple of hundred quids worth every time instead!
My consumption was :
2020 3 full tanks
2021 1 full tanks
2022 2 full tanks
2023 1 full tank.

Flogas told me today that if I use more gas they would look at MY price. What a crazy comment which backs up their statement on their pricing policy to offer a different price to each customer..

As there are only 2 suppliers in the market we are really been ripped off. Im seriously looking at changing to heat pumps but not convinced.
LPG is a much cleaner fuel than Kerosene but we are penalised for using it.

My consumption was :
2020 3 full tanks
2021 1 full tanks
2022 2 full tanks
2023 1 full tank.

Flogas told me today that if I use more gas they would look at MY price. What a crazy comment which backs up their statement on their pricing policy to offer a different price to each customer..

As there are only 2 suppliers in the market we are really been ripped off. Im seriously looking at changing to heat pumps but not convinced.
LPG is a much cleaner fuel than Kerosene but we are penalised for using it.
It is very annoying that it is basically Calor or Flogas, I used to be with Calor for many years but switched due to them increasing tank rental as well. My consumption is a little less than yours, I wouldn't use more than a full tank every 10/12 months depending, I have records going back years but can't remember accurately exactly how much p.a. without checking.

Heat pump is never going to be an option for me without huge investment that I am not going to make at this stage, plus I don't think it would be good value for me, I don't need continual hot water and I don't even want a house that's warm all day and definitely not by night! I'm happy with the Gas however my boiler is 32 years old and working fine but when it goes I doubt I will replace it with another gas boiler although I had oil once in a rented house and it turned me off it forever!

Last edited:
Back