Converting attic to rent out. Good or bad idea?

Thirsty you said that 'all fire regs/certifications' were signed off despite not having minimum ceiling height. I was referring to the certifications aspect of this comment, sorry for not being clearer. So could you explain how all certifications were signed off?

@llgon

1. Architect conducted their inspection before during and after the conversion
2. Architect prepared and printed documents.
3. Architect signed documents.
4. Architect gave documents to me.

Edit: typo

I'm confused. Haven't you stated that your conversion cannot be called a bedroom and that it is a non-habitable space? I don't understand this if it has been fully certified by an architect.

What documents did the architect sign and give you?

I am far from an expert on this, but aren’t people talking at cross-purposes?

I can put a room up in my attic and stick one of my kids up there.

However, without planning permission, I can’t sell the house as having an extra bedroom or rent it out via a tenancy.

But for a “rent-a-room” scenario, isn’t it analagous to one of my kids sleeping up in the attic? The person is a licensee with no rights and no tenancy in place.

So why is planning relevant?

The person is a licensee with no rights and no tenancy in place.

I believe this to be true but that doesn't make it right. Fire and building regulations are there for a reason. I wouldn't put either my kids or a lodger sleeping in a non-habitable space and I don't think anyone else should either. Just because you can't be prosecuted for it doesn't mean it's alright to do it.

Well my non-habitable space is very warm, spacious, private, quiet and comfortable.

:)

I believe I've already said that; and you'll find that many attic conversions (my own included) do not meet the height requirement and so can't be called a bedroom; notwithstanding the fact that all fire regs / certifications have been signed off for it. So whilst it can't be called a bedroom, there are plenty of homes where it is used for exactly that.

I don't believe there are specific standards/regs which are applied for a licensee in a private house; unless you can point me to them?

The building regs that apply to storage space are far less onerous than habitable space for obvious reasons, particularly in relation to fire protection and provision of a safe exit routes. The regs that apply here are the standard building regulations, it is illegal to use a non-habitable space as such.

Your insurance policy covers the building and your contents. It does not extend to the renters belongings.

Your policy may well be void if using non-habitable space as a bedroom and you also need to note that some policies have restrictions in cover that apply when accommodating paying guests.

Your policy may well be void if using non-habitable space as a bedroom
Rather than speculation why don't you check your home insurance policy and show me where says that, because of course you are more likely to have water damage, be burgled, have windows broken etc.,

... some policies have restrictions in cover that apply when accommodating paying guests.
That would be the case regardless of the attic conversion and is easy to check.

it is illegal to use a non-habitable space as such.
Show me where it says that?

I think OP its not a great idea to have someone living in your atic, it sounds like a lot of hasel to me, if you built on a room on ground floor with separate bathroom might not be too bad, he or she would be confined to downstairs, but having a stranger with free roam of the house sounds like trouble to me.your own privacy would be seriously compromised.

O yes I did and had some great times and would highly recommend it to young people because it is an education in it self. It drove me on to get my own place at a young age. I presumed that the OP is a family home and for me I think it would be more hassle than its worth.

You're bouncing backwards and forwards from insurance to building regs.

It's all in the building regs. Why do you think the Priory Hall evacuation was ordered?
So, this was a block of apartments that were not inspected and were signed off as meeting the required regulations, even though the requirements were not met. The issue, as I'm sure you recall was uncovered when the block was inspected prior to the local council signing off on a tenancy agreement.

To return, again, to the OPs question.

1. there's nothing stopping you from converting and letting out your attic or any other room in the house under the rent-a-room scheme
2. you do not need planning (subject to the notes I've made already)
3. you should make sure you get all the work properly inspected and signed off, discuss this with the builder.
4. on the insurance front; there is no exclusion from cover on the buildings side, your policy may have some restrictions regarding theft where there is no forcible entry. You should review your buildings sum insured when the work is completed.
5. if you can afford to pay the loan without the rent, then I would say go ahead. If you don't like renting, you can stop anytime.

It sounds like something you don't need to do. I wouldn't rent a room unless it was a financial necessity. The vast majority of attics will not have the height such that they would require PP as would-be 'habitable' spaces. We, like many I'm sure, use such a space as a kids bedroom. You would get the 13.5% VAT back over 2 years through your tax under the HRI scheme.

So, this was a block of apartments that were not inspected and were signed off as meeting the required regulations, even though the requirements were not met.

Exactly, they were evacuated because they did not comply with building regs. The exact same building regs that specify the additional fire insulation and exit criteria that must be met for habitable spaces with a floor more than 4.5m above ground level. These additional requirements do not apply to storage space.

OP - get a full costing from a trustworthy company including up to full habitable regs. Do your maths then. No tax on rent a room below the threshold.

*You can do whatever you like with a crappy conversion including putting a bed in it...that doesn't mean it's technically legal and compliant. Don't mix that up!

Anything happens to a person living (i.e. Habitable space) in a "converted attic" without the proper regulations in place (fire doors etc..) then you become liable....your choice I guess

Last edited:
Back