Contributory Pension Adult Dependant Means Test

Wizzard

I've also worked up an entitlement for a small contributory pension at the age of 66 and wish to apply for adult dependant allowance for my wife, she hasn't worked outside the home since we married. Is it only necessary to declare joint deposit accounts and what if I have sole accounts in my own name.

I'm drawing an occupational pension and this is our only source of income, is any of this pension taken into account in relation to means testing for adult dependant allowance.

Do pensions department look for evidence of investments and should copies accompany the pension application.

Wizzard

Last edited:
I've also worked up an entitlement for a small contributory pension at the age of 66 and wish to apply for adult dependant allowance for my wife, she hasn't worked outside the home since we married. Is it only necessary to declare joint deposit accounts and what if I have sole accounts in my own name.

I'm drawing an occupational pension and this is our only source of income, is any of this pension taken into account in relation to means testing for adult dependant allowance.

Do pensions department look for evidence of investments and should copies accompany the pension application.

Wizzard
Wizard.

Since you have enough (stamps) to get a Contributory Pension ie paid for by you, I am fairly sure that your wife will then automatically get her (share) under Contributory pension rules.

Also since your Pension is Contributory there is NO need to send on any investment/deposit stuff.

If you contact your local Social Welfare Office , they will point you in the right direction.
I think the Main Pension Office is in Sligo.Contact them 0719157100 or 1890500000 and ask for their guidance.

Gerry,
not sure you are totally correct. The Qualified Adult Dependant rate is means tested based on the income of the spouse. Included in that calculation is an income attributable to "Investments". If assets are held in joint names then 50% is attributable to the dependant spouse. And if the attributable income exceeds €100pw then the additional pension may be reduced. If income or attributable income exceeds €310 pw then no Dependants Pension is payable. My understanding is that the Dept use a graduated table of attributable income of circa €4 pw for every €1,000 over €20,000.

Gerry,
not sure you are totally correct. The Qualified Adult Dependant rate is means tested based on the income of the spouse. Included in that calculation is an income attributable to "Investments". If assets are held in joint names then 50% is attributable to the dependant spouse. And if the attributable income exceeds €100pw then the additional pension may be reduced. If income or attributable income exceeds €310 pw then no Dependants Pension is payable. My understanding is that the Dept use a graduated table of attributable income of circa €4 pw for every €1,000 over €20,000.
Gerry,
Conan.
I took from the post that his wife has minimal investments/income so the (hit) on pension will be minimal.
I think he will be ok ,and asked him contact Sligo, but in any event please Wizzard let us know.

Adult dependant
You can get an increase in your payment for an adult dependant (called a qualified adult).
Your income is not taken into account in the assessment for a Increase for a Qualified Adult. Any income your adult dependant has from employment, self-employment, savings, investments and capital (for example, any property except your own home) is taken into account. If you have joint savings or investments with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant only half is taken into account.
If you are getting a State Pension (Contributory) the Increase for a Qualified Adult is automatically paid directly to your adult dependant. This only applies to applications for State pensions received by the Department on or after 27 September 2007.

Adult dependant
You can get an increase in your payment for an adult dependant (called a qualified adult).
Your income is not taken into account in the assessment for a Increase for a Qualified Adult. Any income your adult dependant has from employment, self-employment, savings, investments and capital (for example, any property except your own home) is taken into account. If you have joint savings or investments with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant only half is taken into account.
If you are getting a State Pension (Contributory) the Increase for a Qualified Adult is automatically paid directly to your adult dependant. This only applies to applications for State pensions received by the Department on or after 27 September 2007.
Thanks for that Brendan,
I wouldn,t wish to have given (duff) advice.

As previously stated by other posters income form pensions or any other sources is NOT taken into account when calculating your pension.
As also stated your wife's dependant allowance is means tested to take into account 50% of joint savings/investments plus any income savings/investments in her own right. However the first 57,500 of savings /investments is disregarded if she has no other income.

Black Sheep
Wonder would you have any link to info re your guidelines of 57,500 been disregarded for qualified adult dependent allowance for old age contributory pension. I have a friend who qualifies for this allowance at the moment but she has a private due to mature shortly and is wondering if it will have any affect on this allowance. Thank you.

Apologies is this reply is too late for you.
The link above from 44 Brendan explains this. The SW convoluted way of calculating income from savings/investments works out at €100 per week on €57,500.

First €20,000......................Disregarded.........................Income..............NIL
Next €10,000......................€1 per €1,000....................Income..............€10
Next €10,000......................€2 per €1,000....................Income..............€20
Above €40,000(€17.500)......€4 per €1,000....................Income..............€70

TOTAL SAVINGS (57,500).....................................TOTAL INCOME...........€100

Last edited:
Back