Health Insurance Connect Care 150 v another plan?

MarianVM

I'm 67, female, single household and so far am fit and healthy. I visit GP once a year, check up and blood test. I have a day care procedure or dexa scan every 3 years. I've had private health insurance since I was 21 and am afraid to let it go now, however, it is very expensive. Do I stay at this level and just grin and bear it or drop down to something more basic?

I'm 67, female, single household and so far am fit and healthy. I visit GP once a year, check up and blood test. I have a day care procedure or dexa scan every 3 years. I've had private health insurance since I was 21 and am afraid to let it go now, however, it is very expensive. Do I stay at this level and just grin and bear it or drop down to something more basic?

Hi MarianVM,

Be aware that some of Laya's plans are due to increase in price on the 1st June 2021.

It is good to know that you are fit and healthy at the moment. Unfortunately it is, as we get older, that health insurance becomes more important to us. I would advise that if all possible you retain a plan that covers Orthopaedics. Your current plan, Connect Care 150, is a good plan but it is more expensive at €1672 than other plans offering broadly similar cover.

The following plans from LAYA come in cheaper than Connect Care 150 and all cover orthopaedics. No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

1. Control 300 Create at €1309
2 Simply Connect at €1361
3. Connect Simplicity at € 1415
4. Simply Connect Plus at € 1470

The above prices are for renewals after 1st June 2021

Control 300 Connect and Connect Simplicity cover a private room in a private hospital while the other two cover up to a semi-private room in private hospitals.

The inpatient excess in a private hospital is €300 per claim on the Control 300 Create plan. The excess is €150 on the three other plans.

There is a €1 excess on everyday expenses on all these plans.

These plans offer good value compared to €1672 for Connect Care 150.

If a private room in a private hospital is important to you then I would give Connect Simplicity some consideration. If the private room in a private hospital is not an issue for you then Simply Connect, as suggested by Odyssey06, deserves consideration

I hope this is helpful

Hi Marian,

Welcome to AAM.

Have you tried checking out the www.hia.ie website = Health Insurance Authority. You can do a comparison of the different plans and companies.

The way waiting lists are these days the last thing I would save on would be my health insurance.

Hi MarianVM,

Be aware that some of Laya's plans are due to increase in price on the 1st June 2021.

It is good to know that you are fit and healthy at the moment. Unfortunately it is, as we get older, that health insurance becomes more important to us. I would advise that if all possible you retain a plan that covers Orthopaedics. Your current plan, Connect Care 150, is a good plan but it is more expensive at €1672 than other plans offering broadly similar cover.

The following plans from LAYA come in cheaper than Connect Care 150 and all cover orthopaedics. No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

1. Control 300 Create at €1309
2 Simply Connect at €1361
3. Connect Simplicity at € 1415
4. Simply Connect Plus at € 1470

The above prices are for renewals after 1st June 2021

Control 300 Connect and Connect Simplicity cover a private room in a private hospital while the other two cover up to a semi-private room in private hospitals.

The inpatient excess in a private hospital is €300 per claim on the Control 300 Create plan. The excess is €150 on the three other plans.

There is a €1 excess on everyday expenses on all these plans.

These plans offer good value compared to €1672 for Connect Care 150.

If a private room in a private hospital is important to you then I would give Connect Simplicity some consideration. If the private room in a private hospital is not an issue for you then Simply Connect, as suggested by Odyssey06, deserves consideration

I hope this is helpful
Yes, it is really helpful thank you. I will compare the plans now.... it was not knowing where to start as so many plans jumped up on the Hia website. My renewal is mid June, I don't suppose if I pay now they will give me the pre increase rate? I might be back later with some questions after I study the plans, meanwhile, thank you all for the speed of your replies. :)

Thanks everyone... I had to rule out Simply Connect because outpatients was capped at €500. However, Simply Connect Plus seems to reflect Connect Care 150 with the exception of the outpatients cap at €1000 and while it says semi private in private hospitals, the Bons in Cork is an exception and my local! the only thing I need to consider now is if €200 savings offsets the outpatients policy limit - a little more maths to do.

Thanks everyone... I had to rule out Simply Connect because outpatients was capped at €500. However, Simply Connect Plus seems to reflect Connect Care 150 with the exception of the outpatients cap at €1000 and while it says semi private in private hospitals, the Bons in Cork is an exception and my local! the only thing I need to consider now is if €200 savings offsets the outpatients policy limit - a little more maths to do.

Hi MarianVM,

You may be aware of this already.

Just as a clarification, a cap of €500 on everyday expenses means that the most you can get back on claims is €500. Given that you will get back 50% of what you spend on GP, Physio or Consultants etc, this means that you can spend up to €1000 on these everyday medical expenses and get €500 back. likewise, if a plan has a cap of €1,000 on everyday medical expenses it means that you can spend up to €2,000 on these and can still claim back €1,000.

I hope this is helpful.

Back