Confusion Over Stamp Duty

P

PaulM

Hi,

I am a first time buyer and receiving a few different pieces of advise from Websites and indeed auctioneers ! I have seen the advice on this site so hope I'm not dragging up old news.

I am looking to buy a second house house, 125square meters, cost 345K. I have been told stamp duty will be 3% or 4.5%. Then was told as a first time buyer I may be exepmt as size is 125 square meters.

If somebody could give me the definitive advise I'd apperciate it.
Thanks
Paul

Who told you that you would be exempt? See for details of the stamp duty rules. In your case (assuming that you are buying as an owner occupier and not an investor) you are liable for 3% stamp duty since the property is in the €317,501-€381,000 range. The floor area is irrelevant here and is only relevant to new houses which are normally exempt from stamp duty for first and non first time buyers but may be subject to some stamp duty if they are over 125sqm.

Many thanks Clubman, I was working off Oasis for costings. The estate agent who is somewhat pushy I'd say was saying there was the possibility of no duty which I could not understand !

Don't expect independent, objective, authoritative or professional advice from somebody who has a vested interest in selling you something.

Back