compensation

U

Unregistered

To cut a long story short, last year a man I didn't know followed me home and damaged my car, he smashed a windscreen and scratched the bonnet causing over a thousand euro worth of damage. He thought I was someone else. He has being charged with being drunk and disorderly and causing criminal damage. He offered compensation(no figure mentioned) but the guards advised me to have him charged. His court case is coming up soon. I have spoke to two different solicitors but neither seem interested because they say he is being charged by the guards and it really isn't anything to do with me. Some people are saying to me that if it goes to court I may not get any compensation for the damage on the car. Can anyone give me any idea what the outcome of this courtcase could be? This man really terrified me.

Surely you can take out a separate civil case against this man - a criminal conviction would mean this case is likely to only involve deciding on a figure for compensation.

The criminal court may award you compensation for out of pocket expenses (i.e. cost of repairing the car), but a civil case would also compensate you for the trauma caused.

This guy is obviously a nutter so i would be hesitant in taking a civil action for injury, just in case you P$$$ HIM OFF AGAIN.

You have to remember one thing "is the offender a mark for damages" ie can he pay you money if an award is made , Going to court for compensation is not as easy as you think , and getting an award of money and actually receing this money are two different things.
I suggest giving the Guards the estimate for the car (which they will need anyway) and let the judge make a ruling for the criminal damage, thats their business. If compensation is offered and it is near to your repair figure just take it and get on with your life.The offender will only offer Compensation to you in order to ease his conviction.

Thanks for the replies. I was just hoping that I would receive the costs back that I paid for the car. I don't want a civil case as I don't want it all dug up again. I do want to forget about it. I have given the repair bill to the guards and I am just hoping that this will be covered. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with court cases and law and I have realized how ignorant I really am to how the system works. Thanks for the help.

Back