Comparison of childcare costs around country

just proves our country has gone to the dogs when its cheaper to send your teenage son to blackrock college or belvedere or any other private school per year than it is to send a baby to a creche!!!!!!!
Is it? What are the fees for those colleges?

Update: oh - ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock_College
The annual fees in 2007/8 are €5,650 for day boys (Willow and Blackrock) and,€15,700 for boarders(Blackrock only).

22 month old, 5 half days, includes breakfast and lunch and nappy wipes (oddly)
€65 for week. if 5 full days €130. South county Limerick

Rush. Co. Dublin.

8 Month old starting next month. €190 per week. Fulltime 7.30 - 6.00pm
All meals provided. great facilities.

Not exactly a direct comparison - for example many creches operate more or less on a full 52 week year and longer hours compared to schools; many creches provide all meals throughout the day; and so on.

I work a four day week and find childcare prices in our area vary greatly. I have had to change my daughter from one creche recently. She only started at the beginning of the year and we were paying €150.00 per week. Now the owner has decided to charge €170.00 per week. This only included the main meal of the day, all other meals snacks and juice/milk had to be provided along with all nappies, wipes etc. This was €170.00 per week, 52 weeks of the year.

Changed to another creche, they are charging €30 per day, all meals provided. I still provide nappies and wipes etc.S aving of about €50 euro per week. We do not have to pay bank holidays or days when the creche is closed. Approximate saving of about €2500 per year.

We are living in the West and I believe €170 per week is far too expensive....

Hi

In Sept a lady is going to look after our children after school in our own home. Our son will finish at 2.30pm and our daughter at 3.30pm. We will be paying €10 per hour until 6pm.

What would be an acceptable daily rate or weekly rate to offer the childminder if she was to do longer hours once in a while? We couldn't afford €10 per hour from 9am - 6pm for a full week or summer.

Thanks

Phoenix

€10 p.h. is not a lot over the minimum wage of €8.65. Are you happy to be paying such low rates for somebody to mind your children?

€10 p.h. is not a lot over the minimum wage of €8.65. Are you happy to be paying such low rates for somebody to mind your children?

We pay our creche €65 for 25 hours = €2.60 per hour. Not too bad now that I think of it.

Yes but paying somebody to mind kids in your own home is different. Creches are inspected and approved/certified by various statutory bodies (e.g. HSE, fire safety officer etc.) and subject to more public scrutiny than somebody minding in your home.

Is €20/day ie €5/hour too stingy? It's a casual thing, ie a mother we trust who collect her own child at the same time daily? We dont want to rip the woman off but we want to pay the norm aswell. The good part is that were not paying for days we dont need her. She was also available for more in the summer.

We pay our minder Eur 6.00 per hour for our 15 month old, I provide her lunch, fruit, yogurts & breakfast cereal, nappies & wipes but she often has whatever is being cooked for the rest of the family plus snacks, ice-cream etc. She is treated like one of their own. She minds 2 after-schoolers for the same rate per hour.

We don't pay for holidays, sick days etc and have flexible hours with her which suits us both (she gets a high per hr rate imo)

€6? How come the minimum wage does not apply here?

It certainly should apply if the person was exclusively looking after the one child, but this is not the case here, is it?

The minder looks after 2 other children, which makes her pay a very respectable €18 per hour.

Is that the case? It's not totally clear from the original post. What I'm getting at is that if somebody directly employs a private childminder to mind their own kids in their own home then presumably an employer/employee relationship and all the rights and responsibilities that go with that (including minimum wage)?

Is that the case? It's not totally clear from the original post. What I'm getting at is that if somebody directly employs a private childminder to mind their own kids in their own home then presumably an employer/employee relationship and all the rights and responsibilities that go with that (including minimum wage)?

I would presume so.

My 21 month old goes to a Child Minder who is registered with HSE.
4 hours a day, 5 days a week is €80, additional hours if needed are €4 per hour and a full 8 hour day, 5 days a week is €140. This is in Dundalk

Betsy

A Childminder who works in her own home, is self employed, minimum wage does not apply.

A Childminder who comes into your home to mind your children is deemed to be an employee by Revenue. Minimum wage, employer contributions etc. apply.

Revenue have started to clamp down on this.

just proves our country has gone to the dogs when its cheaper to send your teenage son to blackrock college or belvedere or any other private school per year than it is to send a baby to a creche!!!!!!!
Probably because the State is quite happy to subsidise private schools by paying the basic teacher salary.

Clubman,
I am interested in the name/location of the D7 community creche?
Is it ok to pm you for more details please?
Thanks
Folly

Back