Comparing credit cards?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I had a look at bonkers.ie and itsyourmoney but their credit card comparisons don't really help that much.

Most of the important differences are in the details of the credit card.

Does anyone do a good comparison? It would be more than a Table of interest rates. The main part would be "How to use a credit card effectively"

I pay my card in full each month, which is the best card?

I don't clear the card in full, which is the best card?

I use my card to withdraw cash, which is the best card?

This was prompted by the changes to the Bank of Ireland Credit Card terms and conditions highlighted by CiaranT BoI Change Definition of "interest free period" for Credit Cards

Interest free periods for purchases - AIB vs Bank of Ireland

If you pay your balance in full with BoI, you pay no interest on purchases.
To qualify for an interest free period with AIB, you have to pay the balance in full two months in a row.

54. Interest will not be charged if you pay the full balance shown on your current Statement by the payment due date shown on the Statement and additionally you have paid the full balance shown on your previous Statement by the payment due date shown on that Statement.

Charges for cash withdrawals AIB vs Bank of Ireland

AIB charges a cash advance fee of 1.5% of the amount withdawn but no interest if you qualify for the interest free period.

BoI charges a cash advance fee of 1.5% of the amount withdrawn + interest of 21%. There is no interest free period for cash withdrawals.

Back