Coming off Disability

KOW

My son is severely disabled and has been on Disability payments for all of his 22yrs. Domiciliary Allowance up to 16 and Disability allowance since then.188 euro per week.
He graduates from college this year and next September starts with one of the big four as a Trainee Accountant. His training allowance from his new employer is in the region of 24k. His training contract lasts for 3.5 years.
Like any other young person renting up in Dublin money will be tight. The nature of his disability does involve extra costs. Can anyone advise how the system works and any unforseen implications now or in the future when you give up Disability Allowance.
Thanks.

That's great progress for son. He's obviously very talented. Well done to you for giving such great support on his education and career journey. Regarding costs, similar to all trainee workers he will have this challenge ahead. But ultimately in 3 or 4 years, he will hopefully qualify and be most employable. It might be necessary to get a small credit union loan along the way- so be it. Rehab or some housing association might help with adapted accomodation. Check with relevant disability support and hope they can put you in contact with supports. Keep us all updated on this good news story.

My son is severely disabled and has been on Disability payments for all of his 22yrs. Domiciliary Allowance up to 16 and Disability allowance since then.188 euro per week.
He graduates from college this year and next September starts with one of the big four as a Trainee Accountant. His training allowance from his new employer is in the region of 24k. His training contract lasts for 3.5 years.
Like any other young person renting up in Dublin money will be tight. The nature of his disability does involve extra costs. Can anyone advise how the system works and any unforseen implications now or in the future when you give up Disability Allowance.
Thanks.

Hi there, I had a look at the information in the link below and to me it appears may still be entitled to partial payment of the allowance:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ts_and_work/disability_payments_and_work.html

"Disability Allowance: all earnings over €350 are assessed as income and your entitlement to Disability Allowance will be reduced in line with the appropriate reduced rates of payment for Disability Allowance. If you have no other means, the maximum amount you can earn is €422.50 and still keep an entitlement to the minimum personal payment of €3 (2015)."

The means test figures are here:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/1084_Illness-disability-and-caring.aspx

According to this he may still be entitled to 78 euro per week.

Contact the DSW to confirm this but I recall a friend having a job and receiving a disability payment (she has cerebral palsy).

Thanks for your kind words and advise. My son heard something about extra tax credits when coming off long term Disability.
Cant find any info on the net. Have read through above links (thanks) and others to no avail. Will ask a few questions at local DSW office and go from there. Thanks again.

Back