Coming clean?

A

anthonyb

My daughter has just had her car written off through no fault of her own - however at request of documents from her insurer, she now tells me she has an unspent speeding endorsement she had not declared - to me or them! - but it is unrecorded on her counterpart license as yet! Should she just keep quite and send the license in, or do they doublecheck as routine with DVLA?

Unsure what advice to give as I know her insurers have the right to refuse her policy on this basis.

Desperate dad.

hi anthonyb
you're not from the states by any chance?
Are you saying she has a speeding fine resulting in two penalty points that have not been set against her licence yet? If so and if these are her first points, come clean, it is highly unlikely to affect her policy cover. In most instances, insurance companies disregard the first four points when it comes to premium calculations etc.
In addition if she has not received written confirmation that the points have been put on her licence, she has technically nothing to declare, regardless of when she received the speeding fine

Given that you mention the DVLA, I presume you are based in the UK? If so, be aware that this is an Irish discussion forum, so may not be of much use to you.

I am in the uk - but an Irishman if that helps - what would you do back home? Do you know if they double check on endorsments?

As in Ireland - sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If there have been repeated pay-outs on the policy or there is some doubt of the validity of the claim, insurer may check the licence number with DVLC.

The way the original thread is worded makes it sound like you daughter was struck by another person - if so, so long as she has a valid licence, the amount of points she has are irrelevant - assuming she's not liable, (who'd she be showing her licence to anyway?) If you describe the circumstances of the accident, I may be able to give you more useful advice.

Hi ACA - yes the other driver was completely at fault - and more than that a complete idiot. Police at the scene and several witnesses assured my daughter she was in no way responsible, and voluntered contact numbers. Other driver raced out and struck her vehicle. My daughter has been driving 13 years and had one previous accident of similar circumstance where she was not liable about 6 years ago.

My only fear is they will void her claim on an expensive vehicle due to her misrepresentation if she volunteers the information.

Hi anthonyb, who wants to see your daughters driving licence? If its the police/gardai - no real concerns - standard procedure to produce proof of licence and insurance after an accident. If its the other insurance company - tell them to take a running jump - not their business if their policy holder was proved to be in the wrong. If as you say, liability isn't an issue, there will be no claim on her insurance and so there is no need for them to know, (at this point! I would tell them upon renewal, apologise and take any hike on the chin!!)

Its my daughters insurers who want the documents such as license, mot etc.

The only reason I can think of, is that both vehicles are insured with the same company. If the policy was originally enacted on-line then they wouldn't have had the opportunity to see her licence. How many points does your daughter have? and what for? Can give you more of an idea what they're going to say if I know - PM me if you'd prefer.
Amanda

Providing her licence wont prove whether she has points as they dont appear on an Irish licence unless it was renewed since she had it! Insurers dont have an issue with points upto about 4. However any insurer would be in a position to repudiate the claim as it is a material fact and she did not disclose it, so she's in breach of her policy conditions! If its Hibernian she would be ok, except they would apply a policy excess of €2,500 for not saying she'd points (only insurer with access to the database.) That said if the other party is liable it shouldnt be a problem.
It would be standard procedure in a claim to look for all documentation as thats the claims dept's job!

Back