Coming changes to the Widows/Widower contributory pension?

Forumuser

We all noticed the plans of the government to change the calculation of the contributory state pension from average calculation to TCA. These plans are slowly but surely becoming reality.
I came across a case of a widows contributory pension recently. You find information about this payment here:

As you can see, the calculation of the payment is based on the average calculation system.

Question: Does anyone know if the changes to the contributory pension will also be used in the calculation of the widows contributory pension calculation?
I never heard anything about this so far. I wonder why...

There hasn't been any indication that widow(er)'s pension rules are changing.

By the way, your link is to the non-contributory pension information.

Sorry about the wrong link.

Personally I suspect that the widows/widower pension rules will be changed to the same rules which govern the TCA. It would be a logical step to change the rules on that scheme as well.
One of the arguments of changing the rules was that the average calculation method has led to some anomalies and a lot of unfair gains for some people. These anomalies and unfair gains are also happening on the present set up of the widow/widowers pension. It would make perfect sense to do some cleaning up as well here. You cannot point your finger at some faults on one scheme- but ignore them on another.

I don't think that could be applied retrospectively though?
No- it cannot. Whatever is in place, stays in place. It is impossible for anyone already on a scheme to lose anything. The changes would only affect those who would become widows or widowers down the road in the future after the changes have become law.

Back