Cold room - Converted garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazzaMazza

Hi all (happy 2010)

I purchased a house with a family room which was originally a garage. The room is one of the coldest in the house as it looses heat quickly. I have figured the following out

1. The roof is a pitched roof to side of house so there is some space up there. I have no access so I would have to get someone to install an attic door (I assume this is a carpentry job?)

2. The roof space has insulation (I drilled a hole). The main house attic originally had 100ml of fibreglass so I am assuming that the insulation in the convereted garage roof space is the same.

3. The walls are cavity block, battons and 50ml of rockwool (hard to believe)

What I would very much appreciate is thoughts on:

1. Any one else have a similar issue with a room like this and if so what did you do to solve it.

2. I am thinking of getting an attic door cut and installed and I can add a further 200-300ml of rockwool myself. Is this a good idea?

3. Am I correct in assuming that placing insulated backed boards over the existing walls would help retain heat (although loose space)

Any feedback appreciated

Daniel

Hi DazzaMazza,

I have yet to convert my own garage [amazing but there you go].

It would be useful to confirm that the attic is vented properly, because this can be overlooked with small roofs.
Unless the battens are treated timber, and given that you need whatever width you can retain, I would be tempted to use one of the high density warm-board panels from Kingspan or another suitable supplier, mechanically fixed directly to the walls - no cavity - and you can fix similar boards to the rafters.
If you want to try and meet current and/or future regulations, here is a link to an overview:

ONQ.

Thanks ONQ

So if I understand, remove the existing plasterboard and studs and get someone to fix the warm-boads directly to the hollow block wall?

Thanks for the feedback , very much appreciated

Daniel

Daniel hope you don't mind me jumping in here, best of luck with that room. Our house is made from 9" hollow block and we greatly improved our comfort levels by doing just what ONQ recommends. In your case I too would remove the cavity and apply directly thus getting great results and losing little width. You will of course need to replaster/skim and consider the routing of electrics/plumbing.

ONQ that is a really good presentation, clear and easy for non professionals to understand, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back