Cold Attic

Lanni

A friend has a very cold habitable attic and the house is only about 5 years old. Unfortunately the Builder's gone bust so he needs to sort it out himself.
There is just not enough insulation behind the plasterboard which is evident from the eaves and the access hatch/ceiling above the attic room.
We can improve the insulation levels in these areas but not behind the sloped part of the plasterboard.
Is internal drylining using insulated plasterboard the most economical option? There is 2 finished bedrooms, office and bathroom in the attic!!!

Hi I am in the same situation above planning converting my attic. i have being advised that sprayfoam is the way to go, but worried about the breath ability of my timber any help welcome

we had a coldish groundfloor playroom as two walls were exterior walls, one with a large window. This room is off the kitchen which is always roasting as solid fuel range, so the drop in temp going into playroom was more exaggerated really.

We put up one wall of insulated plasterboard and re-plastered, the effect has been amazing. Well worth the money, slightly messy though.

I think lowCO2design's link there covers just about everything. I solved this by adding a layer of insulation and finishing with tongue-and-groove sheeting. The tongue-and-grove meant that I could do the job myself and avoid further plastering.

Back