Clocks changing next week

ATC110

Why does the Irish media, and population writ large, never refer to the two time zones (BST and GMT) correctly, rather referring to both as the non-existent "Irish time"?

Why does the Irish media, and population writ large, never refer to the two time zones (BST and GMT) correctly, rather referring to both as the non-existent "Irish time"?
Time in the State, i.e. Irish Standard Time is "one hour in advance of GMT", except in wintertime when it is GMT. This is defined in legislation. There was also Dublin Mean Time, i.e. mean time based on the meridian at the observatory in Castleknock, (aka 'Irish Time') that existed until World War One. So there really is no longer any 'Irish Time'. It's IST or in the winter time IST or GMT.

Time in the State, i.e. Irish Standard Time is "one hour in advance of GMT", except in wintertime when it is GMT. This is defined in legislation. There was also Dublin Mean Time, i.e. mean time based on the meridian at the observatory in Castleknock, (aka 'Irish Time') that existed until World War One. So there really is no longer any 'Irish Time'. It's IST or in the winter time IST or GMT.
I know..my question is why neither correct term is used

I never knew Dunsink Lane is in Castleknock but I suppose it's only about 3Km away so why not.

The Yanks picked Greenwich as the prime Meridian because most sea charts in use then used it as zero degrees Longitude. Therefore it's really all down to a Carpenter named John Harrison (worth a Google).

Therefore it's really all down to a Carpenter named John Harrison (worth a Google).
Or watch the 1996 episode of Only Fools and Horses :) :)

For meetings that have people from multiple countries I always state "Dublin Time" if I'm the organiser

Simple. We all know exactly what someone means by "Irish Time." EG there will be a Zoom meeting at 9:00 am Irish time every Monday. Simple, right?

Now try for size: "there will be a Zoom meeting at 9:00am GMT on Mondays between the end of October and the end of March. Outside of these dates, the meeting will take place at 8:00am GMT. Or, if you prefer, 9:00am BST."

See why people just say "Irish Time?"

Or if you really want to confuse people, try using Zulu time, aka Coordinated Universal Time. (Military types love it!) If you really want precision, you could even throw in the leap second that gets added every 800 days because the earth's rotation is slowing down.

But sometimes it's best to keep things simple. Irish Time it is.

Back