Clarification around new rent rules and increases - two specific situations

Learner2015

Hi all, hoping someone could confirmwhat my options are below:

Property 1
Current tenant in situ since October 2014 - rent is about 400 below market value. It is in a rent pressure zone.

Can I only increase rent with current tenant by 4% event though that will leave the property substantially under market value?

If I want to increase it by more then 4% do I have to do substantial refurbishment?

If the current tenant moves out and I get new tenants with no refurbishment am I still tied to the 4% increase?

Property 2
New letting has been vacant for 4 years. Can I set the rent at market value regardless of the rent was set four years ago?

Can I only increase rent with current tenant by 4% event though that will leave the property substantially under market value?
The link below gives a worked example to calculate the application of the 4% annual cap in circumstances where the rent hasn't been reviewed in over 24 months.
If I want to increase it by more then 4% do I have to do substantial refurbishment?
Properties that have undergone a substantial change are exempt from the rent cap measures. A ‘substantial change’ must be a significant change to the dwelling resulting in increased market value of the tenancy.
If the current tenant moves out and I get new tenants with no refurbishment am I still tied to the 4% increase?
You are still tied to the same rent cap in such circumstances, yes.
New letting has been vacant for 4 years. Can I set the rent at market value regardless of the rent was set four years ago?
Yes.

[broken link removed]

Thanks Sarenco.

Based on the link with how to calculate if no rent review in over 2 years I can increase the rent by a whopping 4.67% - the property will still be 350 euro under market value.

Yep, the new measures are creating some fairly extreme distortions in the rental market.

You might want to communicate your views on the matter to the Minister and/or your local TDs.

Back