Claiming Tax Rebate for Deceased Person

Deauville

Hi,

My father in law sadly passed away in December last.

In the past I had registered him for 'My Account' and I helped to look after his taxes (PAYE) .

There would have been an over payment (I estimate 2,600 euro) in 2023 due to credits for nursing home expenses.

My wife (who has siblings) is sole executor and the probate through a solicitor is progressing smoothly.

My questions,
Is it possible to still claim the rebate on behalf of his estate/family ?
Can I do it for them ? My wife is also registered for 'My Account' ?

Many thanks for any experience shared.

Some might be accessing My Account on behalf of an elderly relative. Strictly speaking this isn't allowed but I think it happens for genuine help to the person. (i am not saying do it that way).

Here is what Revenue say:

You'll have to file a paper tax return for each year involved. In my experience, Revenue can take almost forever to process each one.

Hi,

My father in law sadly passed away in December last.

In the past I had registered him for 'My Account' and I helped to look after his taxes (PAYE) .

There would have been an over payment (I estimate 2,600 euro) in 2023 due to credits for nursing home expenses.

My wife (who has siblings) is sole executor and the probate through a solicitor is progressing smoothly.

My questions,
Is it possible to still claim the rebate on behalf of his estate/family ?
Can I do it for them ? My wife is also registered for 'My Account' ?

Many thanks for any experience shared.
My solicitor has advised me that I may have to do two income tax returns for 2 estates that I'm acting for. If I had access to the tax system online then I would have just done it that way. Which Wizard mentioned. Of course you'll be able to get the rebate, if due.

In your case though, there is a solicitor to guide you. My understanding is that tax returns are not part of the probate fee, so I'll do whatever needs to be done myself directly, estates are tiny so more costs I'm trying to avoid.

Back