claiming tax credits for old medical receipts

Almith

Hi - I can't find the answer to this anywhere so maybe somebody here knows. I have been doing my parents tax returns for the past few years, however recently my mother handed me a load of receipts that she had forgotten to give me - receipts go back three years. Now, I have already completed all of the tax returns to date. If I load up all of these receipts will they receive the 20% credit for them or am I wasting my time if the returns have already been submitted?
Thanks in advance for any information.

You can submit them going back to 4 years. So now in 2024 you can resubmit 2020 receipts and get thr 20% back.

Hi - I can't find the answer to this anywhere so maybe somebody here knows. I have been doing my parents tax returns for the past few years, however recently my mother handed me a load of receipts that she had forgotten to give me - receipts go back three years. Now, I have already completed all of the tax returns to date. If I load up all of these receipts will they receive the 20% credit for them or am I wasting my time if the returns have already been submitted?
Thanks in advance for any information.
I would put them in if you are satisfied that all is in order and see if Revenue will process a refund. If they come back querying the situation I would explain it to them as you have outlined things above. It is not unusual in my experience for people to enter more than one claim for the same tax year.

Just a reminder before you start, that a tax refund for those medical expenses would only issue if there was tax paid by your parents in those years. It's not simply 25% of the expenses back from Revenue.

Thanks for the replies guys - yes there would have been tax paid alright and also a lot of the receipts were covered by private health insurance so I have to go through to see what was covered or partially covered then to see what is claimable. I just didn't want to do all of that and then find that I couldn't claim it back. Thanks again

Back