Claiming a refund of Payment Protection Insurance

Discussion in 'Payment Protection Insurance claims' started by Brendan Burgess, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AndyDub

AndyDub Frequent Poster

In October 2012, I wrote a brief letter to Bank of Ireland to ask them to investigate PPI on a credit card I had since 1999. They wrote back right away to say I would hear from them within 21 days. They wrote me two further letters to say that they needed more time.

Last week I received a PPI refund, interest, and a goodwill payment from the bank. The refund did not go back to 1999 however. In 2006 I had applied for a new type of credit card, on the form (which the bank provided in evidence!!) I had not ticked the box on the application form to include PPI, so it should never have been on that card.

So, it took me just a single letter to recover the PPI, no need for using a 3rd party that would have cost me a huge percentage of my refund.
    My only issue now would be how they calculated the refund, and the interest and why they didn't refer to my original card from 1999. This case shows how a bank made mistakes in applying PPI, good luck with your claims!!!

2. Gerry Canning

Gerry Canning Frequent Poster

There are solicitors/companies who specialize in this on a no-win , no fee basis. I do know of one, it then becomes his {war}, so if moderator permits it ,you can mail me to discuss.. Whatever you DO , please do NOT give up !!!

3. britvic55

britvic55 Registered User

Ppi does anybody know if b.o.i. / a.i.b. Has completed their revision of ppi mis--selling was it not due to completed by march 2013 ?

4. sahd

sahd Frequent Poster

There is no definite end date on this review (so much for the powers of the regulator!) AIB were saying in Oct 2012 that it could take up to a year !

See http://www.moneyguideireland.com/slow-progress-on-ppi-investigations.html

The banks are probably in no hurry to pay back money .

5. britvic55

ppi query's

thank you sahd, was just looking at post from someone sending off letter to B.O.I. in recent post and how they resolve it in weeks ? guess A.I.B. got a totally different policy of thou shalt not pay ? ...

6. sahd

sahd Frequent Poster

An individual complaint will be treated outside the forced review of all policies . If you really think you have an issue with missold PPI - then there is nothing to stop you putting in a complaint - especially if it was sold more than 5 years ago because waithing for the bank to act might invalidate your claim if it goes past 6 years.

7. unicorn

unicorn New Member

PPI Queries

I recently asked for copy of consent form for PPI on a loan I took out in 2007. The Bank wrote back and said it was sold over the telephone, do you not have to sign a consent form for this?

8. sahd

sahd Frequent Poster

You should have signed something - if not they should have a recording of the phone call . If they have neither - then you probably have a good case for miselling. Get a complaint in quick before the 6 years is up . To prevent the bank delaying - try and lodge a complaint with the ombudsman asap too.

9. Gerry Canning

Ombudsman on PPI claims.

Lady has had Ombudsman partly uphold ppi mis-sell v BOI.
    BIG PROBLEM : He held for customer only where it was shown in Documents that the Bank had NOT ADHERED to the consumer acts.

On other matters in dispute , he HELD for the BANK.
    So he could prove wrongdoing in 2 points by the Bank , he could prove NO wrongdoing by the consumer..
    Yet on (verbal) issues he 100% found for the BANK that had NOT complied with the Consumer Act.
    ............................................................................
    DOES THIS NOW MEAN THAT UNLESS CONSUMER HAS DOCUMENTARY PROOF THAT BANK MIS_SOLD ,that the bank ,even when shown to have broken Consumer Legislation will be believed over a consumer.
    ....................................................................................
    I am having doubts about our (impartial)Ombudsman !!!

10. Gerry Canning

Has anyone any clarity as to when the 6 named lenders are to have review of policies sold completed? I understood june 2013.
    It looks like central bank are allowing them to keep moving the review closure. I think august to now = 8 months is too long !!

11. Gerry Canning

Get an irish ppi company,eg ppiireland.ie , make SURE they answer your question.
    Since the provider HAS accepted miss-sell ,write to provider and request refund on the STRENGTH of their acceptance of miss-selling.Do NOT mention the 6 year statute of Limitations. You will have to rely on their integrity.!!!!
    Should you not get refund now , keep all your paperwork as this unfair 6 year rule is being challenged.. Please do not give up !!

12. Gerry Canning

to Britvic 55. Word has it aib will complete by end June 2013. Also they will reject 90% of claims. Suggest get all your paperwork together as it will then be up to ppi claim company then.
    Boi are telling customers (not to worry) and inferring they are discussing time-frames with Central Bank ie they are claiming to be goody -goodies !!!!and looking for extension. They have all had since Aug 2012 , reckon Banks are still leg-lifting !!

13. Gerry Canning

Today M Mc Grath Fianna Fail is reportedly bringing a bill in that consumers can claim 3 years from when they became aware of a miss-sell. This is also being looked @ by the Law Reform Commission. May come to nothing but I take hope.

14. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Covered in this thread

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=177321

15. britvic55

Thank you salmon 9077 I appreciate your informing me of this, its wait and see I guess ?

16. Gerry Canning

Contact ppiireland.ie , explain your case and YOU decide if you go with them.

17. Gerry Canning

Looks like 10 named lenders will be starting to repay some of the PPI on ppi sold in July 2007. They will I believe move onto Aug 2007 and so on.
    Neatly as the Banks do their (review)the statute of limitations close in. What it means is (neatly) Central Bank , Regulators etc close off ppi claims, for anything before July 2007.
    In short Banks will GET AWAY with mis-sells before July 2007.
    Grossly unfair and looks like our Leaders will PROTECT Banks @ every opportunity.

18. Sumatra

Sumatra Frequent Poster

I heard a UK based PPI claim company with a large client base of 25000 potential claimants here is approaching intermediaries to see if they can channel life business that they come across whilst processing PPI claims but which they can't arrange. For the referral they would hope to get a cut in the commission earned.

Who do you trust these days? Frying pan or the fire?

19. Raging Bull

Raging Bull Frequent Poster

I had alook at one of their websites they seem to think the Irish process will be same as UK...they are so wrong ...they want 30% but in Ireland they'd really have to work for it

20. Gerry Canning

............................................................................
    Try ppiireland.ie ,, ask plenty of questions and ONLY if you are happy use them .
    Also Indo page 6 news has an important ppi win,
    Also Business Post doing something on ppi on Sunday.