Choice for TV

O

okidoki987

Moving into a new house and have to decide what to get
(a) An aerial or
(B) NTL or
(c) Aerial+SKY

Anybody any thoughts/preferences NTL or SKY?

I find once connected to NTL you have more than enough choice with little hassle and a lot cheaper than the sky packages. I notice they (sky) sneak up their prices quite a bit. Not that NTL may be much better but I think my last NTL bill was €150 and my mate is paying €61 a month for sky (but they do have sky sports and some extra sat channels for this I know, I know, apples and oranges)

I've had NTL Digital basic package (a little over 100 channels?) for about a year and have no complaints.

I think Sky has more channels but I find with 100 I spend more than enough time checking schedules or channel hopping. Any more and I'd never see a whole programme!

4 channel land . .

I dumped Chorus more than a year ago and only have the 4 Irish channels. I wouldn't take Chorus back if it was free. Maybe delay NTL or SKY for a few months and you might find that 4 channel land is fine and you wont be a slave to the TV. I have an indoor aerial in the attic with a cable running down to a signal booster and then into the TV, the reception is spot on.

Re: 4 channel land . .

I dumped Chorus too, and for less than the price of a year's subscription to their most basic package bought a secondhand satellite dish and 2 digiboxes. Now, in addition to the four Irish channels I get by aerial, I get all the BBC Free-to-view channels (BBC 1,2,3,4, CBBC & cBeebies) and a lot more besides — and, since I bought a quad LNB (don't ask!), we could in theory watch different channels at the same time on up to 4 different TVs. But even with 5 kids I wouldn't dream of having four TVs in the house! :lol

If you can get your hands on a Freeview card (via someone in the UK) you'll also be able to get ITV, Channel 4 and a few others.

Good place to start for basic info about subscription-free satellite viewing is [broken link removed] on Boards.ie, and here's one respected supplier of all the gear you'll need, if you want to buy it new and/or get it installed for you: www.satellite.ie

Hate Chorus. Would probably hate NTL, too, if I'd ever used them.

Dr. M.

digibox

I was given a sky digibox but have no card for it.
How do you go about getting a card without having to pay the monthly charge, or is this a non runner ?

satellite.ie

I'd recommend Tony at satellite.ie in so far as fair dealing with customers.

I ordered a system from them and it turned out that it couldn't be installed due to something to do with the house.

All refunded very shortly with no quibbles at all. No messing. I've heard good reports about them overall.

Regarding satellite queries there is a forum over on boards.ie that deals with this area. You could probably find out about sky cards there.

ITV Card

You can get ITV cards at www.cheapskydigiboxes.com I bought a card off this guy before Christmas and I received it the day after payment.He is also having a sale at the moment.8)

Back