Chimney balloon for skylight - a solution to conserve heat!?

Setanta12

Another question we have a practically inaccessible skylight - would require a large ladder perched on stairs to get to skylight. (And thats before problem of bringing large ladder in up one flight of stairs to sit on the second flight.)

Have a notion that we're probably losing a lot of heat straight up - any ideas or solutions ?

Someone mentioned a chimney-balloon for similar chimney problems? Would this work for us ? Relevant area for proposed balloon being 1.5 sq.ft squared/cubed!

I could not see it doing anything as a chimney balloon would have absolutely no insulation properties bar the air within it & the air will still be there without it.

I would more go with a made up well insulated panel. It could be made to look as if it should be there & then removed when out of the heating season.

If the skylight is double glazed you will not gain much if anything other than blocking light and creating a eyesore with whatever you apply to that area.

If the skylight is double glazed you will not gain much if anything other than blocking light and creating a eyesore with whatever you apply to that area.

I would disagree. Typical U value for double glazing is 2.8 whereas polyiso is 0.023 therefore by making up a panel that looks well from polyiso with either some plastered or timber finish that as I said before, looks as if it should be there would be the best option for winter months. After the heating season, it could be removed for the light benefits & no fuel heating is lost.

Another question we have a practically inaccessible skylight - would require a large ladder perched on stairs to get to skylight. (And thats before problem of bringing large ladder in up one flight of stairs to sit on the second flight.)

Have a notion that we're probably losing a lot of heat straight up - any ideas or solutions ?

Someone mentioned a chimney-balloon for similar chimney problems? Would this work for us ? Relevant area for proposed balloon being 1.5 sq.ft squared/cubed!
your skylight probably isn't great, but before you change it or look for a balloon:confused: have you insualted fully the sides of the light well shaft - if for instance you have 300mm mineral wool or similar on your attic floor have you the equivalent on these side walls? maybe 150mm kingspan tightly fitted to underside of felt

Thanks for all the comments.

I think we're well-insulated in the attic - its just this skylight is the highest point that sits directly above the stairs, so looking to conserve heat I thought to ask. It also has an ugly velux (?) sticker on it so someday we'll have to get that ladder up to take it off !

Back