Child's passport - Black & White photo

RainyDay

I was surprised to receive my daughter's first passport and find that the colour photo that I had sent it was replaced by a black & white version laminated onto the passport itself. Is this normal practice? [I wan't to be confident that it won't cause any problems when we arrive at the airport].

Doesn't answer the question but the issue of colour photos turning into black and white in the passport office was previously mentioned here.

Seems the norm for the new passports. My poor daughter looks like something out of the Addams Family now in her passport but we used it several times and they recognised her so it must be ok?;) Guess its all this high tech stuff that can't cope with colour pics!!

Dunno why it's done, but my daughters is the same, and we had no problems flying Dublin - Carcassonne - Dublin.

Strange, got my daughters first passport about a month ago, and it was in colour- this was the Cork passport office, if that makes a difference.

Thanks to all for your reassurance, except for Vanilla who got me all nervous again! [I'm joking of course - I appreciate all contributions, even the bad news ones]

Vanilla said:
Strange, got my daughters first passport about a month ago, and it was in colour- this was the Cork passport office, if that makes a difference.
Same here, via Cork office.

My new passport issue March 2005 from Dublin is also B&W. I thought it was odd too. Glad it's not just me.

They were having problems with one of the new passport machines and had quite a backlog. Perhaps it's quicker to produce them in B&W rather than colour?

Back