Cheque from TUI (thomson) in Euro says cash in uk only

Frank

Missus and I got delayed in an airport for 13 hours due to a problem with the plane (not an act of god so)

When we got home OH got on to thomson and after months of chasing they paid up, happy days.

Got a cheque that has printed on it cash in uk.

The credit union wouldn't take it.

Haven't been to the bank yet as they don't really do work friendly hours.

Is this going to be an issue.

The UK includes Northern Ireland, so you might be able to endorse it and ask someone there to cash it for you.

Or maybe a UK branch of your own bank.

Brendan

Is it the case that you could exchange it for cash in the UK, but will have to deposit it into an account here?

cheque is likely to be crossed A/c payee only if it is drawn on a UK bank, this means it can't be endorsed to someone else. It's possible your bank will be able to send it on a collection basis to the UK drawing bank but likely to be a charge for that

I'd try Ulster Bank, given they've a presence both sides of the boarder so might not be as expensive in terms of charges... you'd need an account with them though, so have a chat with them before you go opening up a new account (just incase :))

-------------------

You may ultimately find it cheaper to combine a day's shopping up North, with opening a bank account somewhere up there to lodge the cheque...

If they owe you money they must pay you in a half reasonable way. Send the cheque back.

I lodged in my PTSB they are charging me €24 for the privilege of foreign exchange on a euro cheque.

An utter rip off but happy to be getting the other 776 back into the account so will suck it up.

Could have gone back to them but getting this far was hard work.

Back