Cheapest/ Replacement Landline Phone

Logo

I'm posting for an older acquaintance who currently pays Eir approx €50+ per month for a landline service which includes anytime calls to international numbers. He has a mobile (used for calls mostly) but, having family in the UK, he is reluctant to get rid of the landline. Thankfully I ditched my landline with Eircom about 15 years ago, so while I can understand his reluctance to remove his landline/ lifeline, I reckon he's paying well over the odds for the service. I've heard of an internet service called VOIP but am not familiar with it. All ideas appreciated. Thanks

So instead of making calls on the mobile operators network, you install broadband and use VOIP (which is what you asked about).

Whatsapp is the most well known of these applications, but there are others.

Thanks for your reply. I will check up on that. I'm don't have much tech savvy and would appreciate if you might have more info/ link on how to go about this.

I'd stick with the landline - anything else is just a hassle at his stage of life

Reactions: POC
I'd stick with the landline - anything else is just a hassle at his stage of life
When you consider the cost savings, I'd think it's definitely worth a go - phoning via an App isn't difficult, once you've the numbers saved!

If that's not a runner, then I would check the prices on offer for a landline, from the likes of Virgin, Sky and the IFA.

Last edited:
So instead of making calls on the mobile operators network, you install broadband and use VOIP (which is what you asked about).

Whatsapp is the most well known of these applications, but there are others.
The person you are calling would also need to have whatsapp installed on their device, plus whatsapp does not call landlines.

I find Rebtel app on my smartphone quite a cheap option for international landline and mobile calls.

Last edited:
From a quick Google, there seems to be VoIP services available which use landlines. I know nothing about them.
If your acquaintance already has a smartphone, he might be happy to upskill to use WhatsApp. But that only works if the receiver has it too. In my experience, my elderly relatives have mobile phones. But some of them only have 'dumb' phones. Some of them are reluctant to give out their mobile number to anyone. My mum had a Smartphone but never got the hang of WhatsApp even though she was motivated to do so.

And if you have to install broadband to use the VoIP services mentioned by DannyB, you mightn't save money anyway.

You can call landlines, along with other smart handsets, from the Viber app.

VoIP is just a means of providing a phone service over broadband. Some broadband services include a phone for a minimal additional cost. To the user it is just a standard phone that is plugged in to the broadband box/modem, but it actually uses VoIP.

Many of us older folks, even those of us who are 'tech savvy', like a regular landline. In such cases I'd be looking for a company that includes a phone with their broadband service.

I've been with Digiweb for years, and have an old package (no longer offered, I think) of landline unlimited calls and broadband for 45 euro per month. Broadband isn't super fast, but it does me fine.

Here's a sample of what they offer at the moment for broadband and phone calls to Ireland and UK - bear in mind that the rate quoted is for 12 months only and price will increase after that. Unlike some of the major players, there's no annual increase built into the contracts.

I've been with Digiweb for years, and have an old package (no longer offered, I think) of landline unlimited calls and broadband for 45 euro per month. Broadband isn't super fast, but it does me fine.

Here's a sample of what they offer at the moment for broadband and phone calls to Ireland and UK - bear in mind that the rate quoted is for 12 months only and price will increase after that. Unlike some of the major players, there's no annual increase built into the contracts.

That's a very good offer.

Back