"Charity" Clothes Collectors

I have had some aggressive clothes collectors banging on the door at 8am demanding their bags back.

im forever getting them in sticker form in the door.3 different "charities" there was a phone number on one so i called it. no answer.i now have a no junk mail sign on my door.all my kids old clothes i auction off on ebay or put them in tesco recycling if they are shabby looking.

I think it is best to give clothes directly to charity shops. I definitely believe the majority of those stickers coming through the letterbox are total scams. Once or twice I did try ringing numbers given, needless to say-there was no response.
Also, dont forget that even though you may leave a bag outside your door for a genuine cause, you have no idea who actually takes it away.

Beware of these people. Some people I speak to say, sure it is a way of disposing of old clothes without having the bother to do so yourself. I would rather bin them than line these peoples pockets.

They seem to go through spates - at one stage I was getting one every day - some with bags some without.

My mam heard one of the vans last week about 5 am - looked out and it was a rotten white van, the usual and when she got up later her solar lights were gone from her garden and 2 of the next door neighbours plant pots (small trees planted in nice pots) were also missing.

These 'charities' usually state on their leaflets that the clothes will be going to Africa, which they do not and that is a blessing in disguise. The clothes end up on markets in Eastern Europe and they do make the 'charities' a lot of money.

[broken link removed]

If they are registered, it is still a legit taxable donation but sounds like they sell the good stuff and pocket the $$.

I keep the bags, use them for old clothes then drop them off at my local charity shop!

I have started to get bags through my door for the 'Second Chance Recycling Shop', based in Tipperary. Does anyone know anything about this shop? Thanks.

There is a big industry in gettign second-hand throwaway clothes from the UK/Ireland and elsewhere and selling it back to African countries. There is no charity involved anywhere along the line.

Just give the clothes to your local SVdeP shop!

I think it is best to give clothes directly to charity shops. I definitely believe the majority of those stickers coming through the letterbox are total scams. Once or twice I did try ringing numbers given, needless to say-there was no response.
Also, dont forget that even though you may leave a bag outside your door for a genuine cause, you have no idea who actually takes it away.

There is a big industry in gettign second-hand throwaway clothes from the UK/Ireland and elsewhere and selling it back to African countries. There is no charity involved anywhere along the line.

Just give the clothes to your local SVdeP shop!
As you can see from my earlier post I already do that and indeed recommend it to others. Just wondering if anyone has heard of the Second Chance Recycling Shop? Thanks.

I too have a no junk mail sign that says including charity bags. I put it up over a year ago and it works a treat. The only Second Chance charity I can find in Google is in the USA.
Take a look at post 36 in this link [broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Anyone know if these guys are legit. They are regd with companies office

Number 307591

DEVELOPING WORLD CLOTHING

Correct. They may have only registered the name to obtain a website etc.

With business names it is just a one off fee and there is no requirement to file yearly accounts with the CRO.

[broken link removed]

Anyone know if these guys are legit. They are regd with companies office

Number 307591

DEVELOPING WORLD CLOTHING

They are a registered company, not a registered charity. There is a big difference.

See this and avoid them.
Leo

They are not even a registered company.
The name they have registered is a trading name. It will cost you €2.50 to find out who is behind that registration.

They are a registered company, not a registered charity. There is a big difference.
I know that. I just wondered about their being a regd company if scamming. I am considering complaining to the garda about them cos i am fed up of this carry on
and do not like them at the house early in the morning

Back