"Charity" Clothes Collectors

If you go to North Cumberland street just off o'connell st on a saturday or sunday you will see where these bogus guys sell off your clothes.

Bad show but did they not have travel insurance*?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial] Last night father and daughter were back home in Ireland - but the family suitcases remain missing. They contained an estimated €2,600 in suits, clothes and valuables.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
* As it happens I just bought annual, global, multi-trip cover for myself, wife and nipper and omitted baggage insurance on the basis that we never carry anything of great value whose loss we would not be better off "self insuring" for - and baby's arrival has not changed this. Knocked a good bit off the premium too.
[/FONT]

Surely it cant be hard for the Guards to ctahc these people. After all they leave notes to say when they'll be there. Thats the easiest arrest they will ever make.
Is this another example of the Gardai not bothering at all.

If I left my laptop on a bench in O'Connell Street and somebody nicked it would the Gardaí be justified in ignoring my report of its "theft" or at least not prioritising investigation of this matter?

I never realised they were con-artists. we get 2/3 of those bags a week where I live. I usually clothes to the clothes bank.

Yesterday's leaflet was just thrown in our driveway, they didn't even bother to post it in the letterbox!

Hi all,

I've been getting one of these leaflets a week & have been collecting them. Sad, I know. But they were really getting to me...so...

I checked out their registered company numbers. You can do this online:
[broken link removed]

- 1 number belonged to a software company that was dissolved back in 2000. (So why add it to a "charity" leaflet?)
- Another did not have a number but a specific charity name (never heard of it before)
- Another number was the CharityName Ltd of the second.
And so on.

Bottom line is that these are a set of companies who are falsely advertising themselves as charities.

I'll quote from one leaftlet "...As we deeply understand the importance of every donated item based on your generosity that deserves to get straight to the hands of people in need "

So is it fraud?
Is it false advertising - therefore contact consumer affairs?

People are generous to charities & that they in turn do good work. I hate the thought of these guys taking advantage of that.
I know this thread was started a while back but its still going on. Latest leaflet was yesterday.

So where to go from here? Any ideas?

D8L

LIVERLIPS said:
I got a fright this morning as i was knocking of alarm someone walked by door and put one of these through the letterbox this was at 745, no normal charity would have people dropping these throught letter boxes at this hour. As my boyfriend said he is coming at this hour as he is a cowboy. I do give them to a girl that collects for the homeless or put them in the recycling centre near me.

I used to work for a well known Irish chartity and I used to work in the south east area and I delivered the chartity bags via the door (letterbox) and collected :
(a) the un-used bags from householders
(b) bags left out for collection

Now I used to deliver bags fairly early in the morning maybe 8 am

As for 'other' chartity collections I actually believe they all mostly bogus and a lot of the clothes and or items collected end up in local markets or car boot sales

AFAIK, most of the leaflets are fairly carefully phrased to avoid outright lies. I don't see what the major problem is here. If you don't like the idea, don't leave out any gear. And you can hang on to the bag for your own use if you like. If you do want to get rid of bric-a-brac, do you really care where it goes? Beware of tarring all collections with the same brush - there are reputable organisations which do these collections, including Enable Ireland who dropped in their bag to me today.

RainyDay said:
And you can hang on to the bag for your own use if you like

You could if they even bothered to give you a bag. In Cork some of them have taken to just dropping the leaflet in the door!!!!

To me that is a sign that they are definitely con-artists. Personally, the only outfit that I trust is the Enable Ireland collection and these are the only group that I would leave out stuff for.

Grizzly said:
Yesterday's leaflet was just thrown in our driveway, they didn't even bother to post it in the letterbox!

if they done this to a whole estate/street - it might be worth reporting them for littering.

I think I read somewhere before that some of these "charities" do actually send clothes to developing countries - where they SELL them to the locals at markets, thus depriving local clothing industries (which were big in some African countries) of a market as it is seen to be "cooler" to wear second-hand European/American rags than to wear local cloths. In this sense, they are not lying when they say they are collecting for developing countries - they are just omitting to say how they will distribute them!

Personally, I would hate to see clothes given with the best of intentions used to make a profit in developing countries.

There should be some legislation against them, if only to protect the interest of genuine organisations.

Why do you care whether they're legit or not? You are getting rid of the stuff anyway, are you not? Does it really matter where its going to? OK I agree you may rather if it went to some poor more deserving people but at the end of the day you are passing it on because you no longer want/need the stuff. Its not like you are giving away your stuff to the poor, you would be getting rid or it one way or another regardless would you not?

SPUDZ said:
Why do you care whether they're legit or not? You are getting rid of the stuff anyway, are you not? Does it really matter where its going to? OK I agree you may rather if it went to some poor more deserving people but at the end of the day you are passing it on because you no longer want/need the stuff. Its not like you are giving away your stuff to the poor, you would be getting rid or it one way or another regardless would you not?

I care because sometimes you have to to. It is not good eneough to just forget about something just because it is out of your hands. there is always consequences that you must care about.

That is like saying that you just dump all your rubbish in to the regular bin, even though you could recycle half of it, but you don't care because it is now out of your hands.

There may be better options than these so called charity collectors and people are right to care and consider what is happening to their old clothes other than being glad to have them gone from their home.

SPUDZ,

I care because there are very genuine charities who do great work. I dislike the operators who a profiting by pretending to be something that they are not.

One leaflet I received contained an address. I looked it up. Its a disused warehouse that's for sale on an auctioneers website.

As for your comment:

"You are getting rid of the stuff anyway, are you not? Does it really matter where its going to? "

If I were to throw out half full paint tins because I no longer have any use for them, do I tip them down my drain, possibly affecting my & everyone elses water quality, or do I take them to be treated as they hazardous waste that they are? It matters.

D8L

Just got one in the door; could they be any more obvious that they're as bent as a boomerang?

[broken link removed]

Open in new window to see full size
[broken link removed]

I am now getting an average of 5 of these a week through my door. Also, when putting them in the letterbox they are not using the driveway, but walking straight through the lawn to get to next door, starting to make a nice little path through the lawn. GRRRRR

I've also seen some that aren't pushed properly through the letterbox, thus advertising to all and sundry that the house is vacant.

I get at least one of those leaflets/stickers every week - which makes me very suspicious - they are just too frequent to be from a legitimate charity. I think that no legitimate charity would inundate someone with these leaflets and bags.

Back