Changing solicitor

Click

Hi,

I've decided to change solicitor, mainly due to poor service but also due to cost.

I had nearly sold my house + purchased another but it all fell through.

The solicitor had drawn up contracts for the sale of my house & sent them to purchaser’s solicitor etc. I also had some contract quires regarding the purchase of the other house.

As I said I never actually sold or purchased a house.

I have been hounding the solicitor for a bill for the above & eventually got one today 1500+vat.

I was prepared to pay for their time, I thought around 1K+vat might be the highest I could get charged.

I plan or ringing the solicitor tomorrow to discuss the amount.

What do other people think regarding the amount being charged, it covers writing up a contract for our house + dealing with some quires. How many hours would a solicitor put into something like this?

I want to be reasonable but I also do not want to be taken for a ride!!

Any comments appreciated (especially from any solicitors)

Many Thanks

It is hard to say without knowing more, but getting to contracts issued on the sale and receiving (and querying) contracts on a purchase would certainly come to 20\25% of the total work budgeted, and could come to as much as 50% of total work, depending on how the thing went.

The solicitor should give you a written statement of cost before he/she starts.
I got a bill for over €4,000 for buying and selling two house. But because of the very bad service, I contacted the Law Society. Their first question was "did I have a written statement" which had not been produced. They took a considerable amount off the bill. You should put your complaint in writing to your solicitor first.

Back