Changing maintenance after divorce

Looks to me like she'l just have to do what she's told until she's old enough to stand on her own two feet. Don't think it would be possible for your partner to do anything when the agreement is there for him to provide for his children & ex-wife, just because she's not agreeing with what her mother thinks is best isn't grounds for a change to a legal agreement made by your partner & his ex. Nothing to stop your partner from giving his daughter a few extra euro if he wanted to, have a feeling though it wouldn't take long before the other one would cop on and start looking for it too. Sorry to be so harsh but to me it looks like his daughter is just playing one of them off against the other, maybe she needs to grow up a bit before she even considers moving out on her own.

Thanks for reply. Partner has no problem with giving her a few extra bob if she eventually has to live out. It is no exageration to say she is not living in a normal environment and he would love to be able to afford to pay accommodation for her, but having taken on the mortgage of house signed over to ex, and our own morgtage as well as maintenance he is streached as it is. That is why he would like to be able to give her what he is paying his ex in maintenance for her, (does that make sense).... As she would not be living at home, mother would not have to keep her (in the living at home sense) and money could go to her.
Any further ideas.....
L

My partner has been divorced for the past two years and pays maintenance for 2 children and small sum to ex wife. Eldest daughter is in 2nd year college and finding it very hard to live with her mother (He knows exactly how she feels). If she moves out to rented accommodation can he have maintenance for her paid to her account. How would he go about this. Does he have to go back to court for this.
In an ideal world, her mother would pay her the sum allocated to her and that would be the end of it, but we are not dealing with normal. It would still cost more for each parent but it would be worth it for the childs sanity. We are living at the other end of the country, otherwise she could come live with us.
It is very hard to explain to her that she only has to live there for two more years then its 'hello big world'.... young people cannot see that time does fly and two years will be very quick to pass.
I have looked at other threads regarding Divorce and maintenance issues but nothing touched on this issue. Anyone out there got any answers to this dilema....

The nuts and bolts of the situation are that your partner is obliged to pay maintenance to his ex-partner for the child if she is in full time education up until she turns 23. I'm sure you're aware of this.
My gut reaction also (same as cashstrapped) is that she may be playing each parent against each other to get what she wants. I think that when you have a separated family, certain normal family experiences get heightened and dramatised a little more (speaking from knowledge here). What might be teenage tantrums and teenager/parent not seeing eye to eye can become a taking sides issue. While I'm not saying either parent is wrong or right, it's so normal for teenagers to disagree with their parents, threaten to move out etc, I would be surprised if this was anything else.
In a "normal" family, it would work itself out or the teenager does actually move and learn to stand on their own two feet and support themselves!
Your partner's ex continues to get the children's allowance for the child until she is 23, providing she is in full time education whether she is living at home or not, so long as she is a dependant btw. I've never heard of a child maintenance payment bypassing the custodial parent and going straight to the child. However if the child were to move out of home, it could be argued that the child is no longer a dependant and it's up to neither parent to support her........
Maybe another poster would have different thoughts?

Thanks for that.
We know he is responsible for her maintenance and rightly so, but what if she was no longer living in the house with her mother, could he then pay the maintenance directly to her as it is for her anyway.... This would not be an issue if the mother just gave the daughter the money, but 'daughter' is seen as 'a cash cow' (hope you've heard of this saying) and mother is going to hold on for as long as possible while making life very hard for everyone. Hell hath no fury.....
I know all about teenagers etc. as I have had 3 of my own. Eldest made me a grandmother late last year, 2nd is in T.C.D. and will finish this year (I give her what I would give her father for her maintenance, and he then supplements it), along with living with her 2 aunts for the past 3 years, that is how we were able to afford to send her to college. My partners daughter does not know about this arangement, so that is now where she is coming from. She just finds it very hard to live with her mother as does her sister. But he keeps reminding them that they only have a few years left and he was looking at a lifetime if he had'nt gotten out when he got the chance.
This isn't a moan, he just wants his daughter to finish college without all the hassle that living at home brings for her. And the only way he can afford this is to pay her directly the maintenance that he is now paying her mother for her.

Assuming the maintenance arrangement is as a result of a court order then your partner can go back to court at any time to vary the terms of the order, his daughter can give evidence if the judge will allow.

Thanks for the legal advice Vanilla. That is just what we thought. Does it cost much to go back to court as Divorce was just 2 years ago and still feeling the sting from that in the pocket. I have to wait for another bit myself for mine (divorce) as they are so expensive even though mine will be very plain sailing... not a vindictive man....
So the cost of going back to the Circut Court will be a factor here...
L

He should ring his solicitor and ask for a ball park estimate of the legal costs involved before he commits himself.

Thanks for that. Its like going on the 'not' so merry-go-round again. I suppose if it was that easy everyone would be at it....

Your partner could try self representing himself for a variation in maintenance, also the daughter could formally move out of the mother's home and live with the father. If the revised variation goes through then he can support his daughter himself.

Your partner's ex continues to get the children's allowance for the child until she is 23, providing she is in full time education whether she is living at home or not, so long as she is a dependant btw.
mo3art, according to SW "Child Benefit ceases when the child reaches age 19." (www.welfare.ie) there's no reference to continuing education?

Back