Change of Names After Marriage

roker

My daughter has just re-married. I never give this any thought before, but how does she go about changing her name and childrens names with tax. Social services, Passports, and Birth certs. particularly for the children?

My daughter has just re-married. I never give this any thought before, but how does she go about changing her name and childrens names with tax. Social services, Passports, and Birth certs. particularly for the children?

Mostly you simply adopt by usage the name by which you wish to be known by.
And then:
Tax: notify revenue and provide evidence by way of marriage cert.
Social Services: the same.
Passport: need new application
Birth certs. They remain as is. There is no need to change them nor will the Registrar change them.

mf

Kids can be cruel. They will go through life having a different name from their father and mother that is a problem.

I have three nephews - one sibling is the mother. Fathers are all different. Sister remains on good terms with all. All three carry their own father's surname.

I can see both sides of the conundrum. In the end, it is a choice to be made.

But, while kids can be cruel, don't underestimate their capacity to accept differences.

I still remember child sitting for the above three and, while they were out getting ice cream a neighbour's child stuck his head over the front wall and asked for John. Not here. Child did not leave his name and the one question I was asked when I relayed on the message that a child had called was "what colour was he"?

It is just a choice based on circumstances.

mf

Because when they go to school they will have a different family name

How are their school friends going to know that their surname differs from their mothers and their step fathers.

I didn't change my name when I got married so I have a different surname than my children, even the worst school bully would not be aware of it.

My kids school has a number of kids with single parents, parents re-married, siblings with different fathers. The other kids don't even notice.

She can't change the birth certs of her children and her new husband can't adopt them without their father consent, so she probably cant legally change her kids names anyway.
If they start using their step fathers surnames, will they be able to get a passport in this name, or will it have to be in their legal surname as per birth cert.

There are a number of issues to decide before changing their kids surnames.

Her ex-husband is still the childrens father, except in expectional circumstances, he has a say in all this as well.

Thanks for your answer.
My wife had a daughter before we were married, she carries my family name on here birth certificate because we went through a formal adoption procedure in court. This was in the UK, I do not know if this can be done in Irish law.

Thanks for your answer.
My wife had a daughter before we were married, she carries my family name on here birth certificate because we went through a formal adoption procedure in court. This was in the UK, I do not know if this can be done in Irish law.

I dont know the details of the law, but in general, her husband can only adopt her child, if the child's natural father agrees. If the father has disappeared completely, there are legal proceeding that can be used to allow adoption, but I know none of the details of this, I just know someone who did it.

Back