CGT error in Form 11

redzer71

Hello,
Trying to finalize Form 11. I am at the Capital Gains page. I entered the total sale price of my share sold in 2022. I moved then to the section "Gains/Losses/net chargeable gains and entered the Chargeable gain in the year. Further down I did not enter anything in losses as I had none carried forward, I then entered the personal exemption 1270. and the net chargeable gain. As the chargeable gain would have been negative, I entered 0 as recommended in the help section.
However, when I click on save or continue I get the message under the chargeable gain section "Amount here must equal "Chargeable gain(s) (excluding foreign life policies) net of current year losses and S 604A and 604B relief" plus "Rolled over gains", minus "unused losses from prior year" and "personal exemption"."

Can anybody help please?

Have you tried entering the personal exemption to just the amount of the gain, and not 1270, just a thought that you can claim relief upto 1270, so if gain less than 1270 then you can't claim the full amount to create a loss.
Have a try of that,

Thanks for that, yes I tried and the message is still popping up. Really stressed now, as I cannot continue which means I cannot submit

I might have to, considering I sent an enquiry a while back and have had no reply yet, phone lines are always a no-go.
Thanks for the help

OP you know you have until November 15 if this is self assessed income , right ? Just mentioning this in case it helps with the stress

I just tried to start mine and ROS seems to be out of action .. anyone else a late submitter and having an issue ??

Last edited:
It took me ages to get through that page and my circumstances were similar. I tried so many times, I'm trying to think exactly how I got it to work!
First, I agree with #2 above, just put in an exemption claim to balance the gain, not the full 1270. I think the game changer for me was in the two sections below that again, where you put in the net chargeable gains for the period 01 Jan to 30 Nov, and again for period 01 Dec to 31 Dec (equivalent to lines 821 and 822 on the paper form). In both those sections for line (a) "Net gain to be charged at 33%", I entered zero in both and that seemed to satisfy it. Hope it works for you too.

Back