Central heating system - Leaking sand from 2nd floor

Green100

Hi, would appreciate some information/advice.

The system we have is a solid fuel GRANT back boiler in an open fire. In the area to the left of the boiler is a wall, which the pipes pass through, up & down to the rads/hw tank, so hidden from view.

Over the past few months, when a good fire is on, we can hear granuales of sand falling down in this area.

I do not know from where exactly, but my guess is where the pipes enter just above the ceiling space/under the upstairs floorboards.

I wonder what the sand was used for, and as it's now leaking, if I need to do something to replace & reseal it. :confused:

Any ideas.

I've pics, but not allowed post attachments.

Thanks,
John

It will not be sand but it is most likely to be vermiculite. This is a granular substance that is heat proof to limit the heat loss surrounding the clay liner in order to limit condensation build up in the flue. The hot the products of combustion are the quicker they will rise to the outside.

They will most likely have moved/settled or some part of the surrounding construction has deteriorated. You should really investigate further and replace any that has fallen out.

Back