Central Heating Problem

Scared!

Hi all, I have an issue with my central heating system. My system has 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs) and works fine when either zone is selected on its own. The problem occurs when I set both zones "on". Upstairs heats up without any issues but the downstairs rads barely get warm.The house is 2 years old and the problem only started this week.I have an oil system and the boiler is a galvanised/outdoor warmflow system. Any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Call a plumber/heating engineer, it may be, in need of balancing, controls or lack of water in the system(doubtful), there are a few reasons but the best thing is to call somone.
Google is great for finding people in your area and they are cheaper that the ones with the big expensive Golden Pages ad's

the down stairs zone may be partially blocked. Water always follows the path of least resistance. this would explain why it works ok when the pump is only pumping to down stairs zone and not upstairs. When up stairs comes on it is easier to go there.

It may be a problem with a zone valve but I have yet to see one stuck in a mid position.

Do any of the down stairs rads get hot?
Have you a pressurised system?

Thanks for the reply's. Feel you may be right about a partial blockage. I have attempted to manually open the valve but the problem stays the same. Not sure if system is pressurised. Down stairs rads get warm but not hot as they once did with both zone on. Could it be problem with the circulation pump? Going to adjust rad flow valves down upstairs or is this a bad idea?

Thanks for the reply's. Feel you may be right about a partial blockage. I have attempted to manually open the valve but the problem stays the same. Not sure if system is pressurised. Down stairs rads get warm but not hot as they once did with both zone on. Could it be problem with the circulation pump? Going to adjust rad flow valves down upstairs or is this a bad idea?

Doubt it is a pump problem.

Try shutting down valves on upstairs zone radiators, just a bit. you should have a balancing valve(red wheel handle) on the return that enters your cylinder, (flow and return enter cylinder at the side about 18" apart) turn this down a bit.

Hi DavyJones, I have one red wheel handle valve at bottom of tank and a belmont valve (whatever that is ) on the pipe above this (2 electrically controlled valves also connected here and a red expansion tank?) I think it may have something to do with one/both of these settings as they may have gotten adjusted by accident removing Christmas decorations from the hotpress recently, coinciding with when the problem occured. (Please excuse my poor grammer). If you could suggest appropriate settings I would be very grateful.

IFor the moment I will assume that the belmont valve is a temperture regulator. Are there number settings on it?

Any chance of a photo of your hot press?

I had a similiar problem with my zones and when I mentioned it to my plumber he told me to partially close the tap between my tank and the manifolds to stop the water circulating through the tank and back to the boiler again. This tap diverted the hot water to the zone manifold rater than through the tank all the time. It solved the problem instantly.

Thanks for the info (davyjones and builder ed),partially closing this balancing/return valve (red wheel) solved the problem for me, so thank you for your help. I would have hated to have to pay a plumber for a non-job when the information was freely given on a forum. Cheers.

Back