CC fraud

H

hal

Please help !! It appears that an unauthorised user has been using my credit card. I am trying to get to the bottom of it without much help from the credit card company. I had to actually persuade them to cancel my cards.

In this context has anyone ever heard of the billing addresses of A M A-Vector, Bangor, GB. or TLC Bangor.

From what I can gather they are shopping channels but a google search shows up nothing

Cancelling the card(s) is the first step. The next is to check the terms & conditions of your card agreement to check what, if any, amount you may be personally liable for in such a situation. The next thing is to request your CC company to do a chargeback on any unauthorised transactions. If no authorisation by you can be found by the merchant involved then the amounts (including any interest and currency exchange losses and perhaps less any excess as above) should be refunded. I experienced a similar case of unauthorised/fraudulent CC use a few years back on a card that I had never used (neither in card present transactions nor online) - in which case it is most likely that the card number was automatically generated and the additional details (card holder, expiry date etc.) were not checked carefully or at all. Thankfully these days merchants and CC transaction processors tend to be more careful about checking these things. In you case perhaps your card was skimmed/copied? This link (slightly outdated) is very useful in relation to all aspects of CC fraud:

www.faughnan.com/ccfraud.html

Hal,

There's a lot of it out there see these previous threads and

Hope you can get it sorted :)

bangor

i have just had money taken from my card the same bangor plc gb have you sorted it out and how hope you can help jan

Hi Guys

I found this [broken link removed], which If you ask me what my opinion is might be the one you are seeking

Marion :hat

Your CC comapny will be slow to involve themselves unless pushed.

Where your statement shows unauthorised transaction, simply advise you CC company that they weren't yours and they will be classified "in dispute". The onus will then be on the merchant to prove to the CC comp that they have adeqaute authorisation for the amounts sought.

Your CC company will then try to convince you that you must have authorised the amounts, but hold firm and stand your ground - it'll work out.

The terms & conditions of your CC agreement should state what, if any, amount of unauthorised payments you are personally liable for. Apart from that (and perhaps including it depending on the circumstances) any unauthorised transactions should be exposed by requesting a chargeback which will ultimately show that there is no signed authorisation for payment. Some more up to date CC agreements may have specific clauses covering "card not present" (e.g. over the net or phone) purchases which may be relevant in some cases of alleged fraud too.

08709033790-TLC BANGOR GB scam

You may be interested in the following exchange I had with Egg plc (in reverse chronological order) - any advise on how to stop these people getting away with it would be very appreciated:

Date: 26 Jan 2005
Time: 18:10
Subject: fraud again

Hello
Having just talked to one of your agent it seems that you aren't prepared to take any action to
a) compensate me as a victim of this scam
b) make a reasonable effort to ensure that the company concerned does not profit and does not go on profiting using this credit card scam
I do feel like someone who has just been robbed (and £99-95 would constitute a serious offense on the street) and the person who supplied the get-away car (the credit card company) claims that it's nothing to do with him.

If you persist in this attitude I will expend considerable effort in an attempt to ensure that this sort of attitude is not rewarded. I very much doubt that the credit card industry in general and Egg in particular needs the sort of publicity you are likely to get. On a more mundane note you should be able to work out that loosing my business alone is worth a bit more "caring".

<name withheld>

Date: 6 Jan 2005
Time: 18:42

The plot thickens.
I actually managed to get through to the company. What they did was quite clever. When I ordered the product LTT they asked me if I was interested in some travel info (can't remember much except as usual I checked that there is no commitment). I must have said yes. As a result a package came which looked like the usual junk mail and must have ended up that way.

The company claims that because I didn't cancel (don't you have to first agree to something before you cancel?) that that's why I was charged the £99.95. Clever, because at just below £100 I have less right to dispute this. Are you going to recover this money for me or do I have to take you to court? I believe it's your responsibility enabling this sort of company to use credit card for this kind of blatant swindle.

Date: 30 Dec 2004
Time: 14:21

Dear <name withheld>

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the service you've received from Egg.

To ensure you get the right answer to your question, I've passed your message on to our Security team. I've asked that they contact you shortly.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Sharonjeet Dhanjal
Internet Customer Services

-----Original Message-----

Date: 30 Dec 2004
Time: 12:23

Hello
I had a call from you - most unsatisfactory. As a result I wasted a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of this fraud. An experience that won't encourage me to use credit card much in the future. The number for TLC you gave me is engaged all the time - probably many ripped-off customers trying to get their money back.
The cost of the goods was to be around a £100 (see
www.screenshop.co.uk/viewProduct.asp?pID=3 &catID=3) payable in 3 installments.
What appears to have happened is that they took the first installment of £43.17 under the name Vector Direct LTD-GBP. And then £99.95 under the name 08709033790-TLC BANGOR GB. No wander I got confused - as well as ripped-off by over £40. I suggest that you investigate further and ensure that I get an appropriate refund. Otherwise my Egg cards have an appointment with a shredder!

Re:   08709033790-TLC BANGOR GB scam

Your CC comapny will be slow to involve themselves unless pushed.

I have to say that wasn't my experience of AIB. One phone call, they gave me a fax number, I faxed them a very short letter. They refunded the money, and it was a small amount, less than the 100 mention in the above scam.

This situation is complicated by the possibility that there may have been some sort of agreement, even if that agreement was achieved by tricking the customer.

On the upside, if this was a Card not Present purchase, I.e. over the phone or via the web, you have 6 months to pursue it, and the legislation is very consumer friendly here.

Stay with Egg until this is sorted out, then dump them for a provider who doesn't make it so hard to get a refund.

-Rd

Back