Career break V resigning my post

Pinkpanter

I had my second child recently. Doing up the figures and childcare will cost €2000 per month. I get €1220 per fortnight.
I have the opportunity to go with my husband abroad. He would be on a much higher salary and paying a lot less tax. I could become a stay at home mummy!!!
I will of course seek a career break however if I don't get one and I resign my post what are the implications for my PS pension?
I am a post 2004 entrant so retirement age is 65. If I return post resignation ie new entrant what happens to my 11 years service at the post 2004 rate? Do I start on the new pension scheme and lose that service at the better pension entitlement.?

I would not resign. If you go back when you return to Ireland you will be considered a new entrant.

What happens my service to date if I resign?
I will try for career break!! I've been told I will be "very very lucky to get one"!

What happens my service to date if I resign?
I will try for career break!! I've been told I will be "very very lucky to get one"!
Your service will be preserved until your retirement date. Then your pension will be based on the 11 years pre resignation. If you re-enter when you come back, you will be a new entrant and your pension based on the 'new entrant' service will be calculated differently and added to the pre resignation pension. As others say, try your hardest to get a career break and get the union involved on your behalf, if you can.

I agree with slim. It sounds to me like they are trying to make you feel bad. I got a phone call when I was on career break asking me to resign. I didn't at the time but did later. I regret it now as it has effected my pension.

I will fight hard to get career break!!
The move would be to SWITZERLAND and would be a permanent contract if he was successful.

Update

I have been refused a career break due to "nursing shortage in the Dublin area".I'm due back to work from ML in a few months.

I have applied for parental leave for 18 weeks. Any other advise.
It's looking like a resignation!!

I don't think I will return to nursing if I come back to Ireland.
- 10% less salary
- worse pension scheme
- lose allowance that was ring fenced
- back to staff nurse

Mrs Beag went through a very similar situation to yourself and in the end resigned. Since then she has not looked back and is delighted (we both are) with the decision made. She was more and more disillusioned with the job anyway with all the changes that have occurred over the past 10 years and has no intentions of returning. We have made some sacrifices financially but the positives outweigh the negatives by a huge majority as far as we're concerned. It is a big decision but based on our experience I would go against the advice given by others here and say that if you think you can afford it and are happy not to want to come back in the future then do not be tied into a job that does not suit you or your family, either financially or due to circumstances such as your husband working abroad. The only other advice I would offer is that if you do resign and move abroad, try and ensure you can get involved with the local community over in Switzerland so that you are not isolated.

Back