Car insurance - What constitutes modified?

River

Hi All,

Just wondering what is usually covered when you are asked if a vehicle is modified. Is it purely in relation to the engine or can it be in relation to a cosmetic change.

I ask as my car has a double exhaust that im pretty sure didnt come with car originally.

Would this mean the car has been modified?

Cheers

Ask the insurance company for the definition of modified! It may well vary between insurance companies!

If you want - ring and ask for a quote under a false name and address (close to your own). At the end of the quote, say that the car has been modified to have a double exhaust (pre-purchase), and ask does that effect the premium...

I know a bit about this area.

It comes down to contract law, the principle of utmost good faith, and the disclosure or otherwise of any material fact relevant to the proper assessment of the risk.

Modifications do not have to enhance performance in any way to increase a risk. For example the fitting of a fancy aftermarket stereo or high value items like alloy wheels may make the car more attractive to a potential thief.

I've often seen ads for cars like "Subaru 2.0 Turbo - non turbo on log book" - this is clearly an indication of potential non disclosure.

Any car that has been lowered or has uprated suspension, or has a roll cage fitted, or has engine mods such as performance air filters/exhaust, or has been chipped for extra power, etc. etc. will clearly be a non standard risk.

The bottomline is if you are in any doubt disclose. It's a basic principle of insurance law and it's up to the propser to do so, and not the insurer or gardai to catch them.

HTH.

RS2K is right. Anything that isn't standard on the car from the manufacturer is a modification. Apart from people thinking about the premium, dont forget that if you put a nice after market body kit on the car, or a set of alloys worth €2k on the car and it gets nicked, you just get the value of your bog-standard car!!

Back