Car insurance & registered owner

naheem

Hi
can anyone tell me if you have to me the registered owner of a car to be the main insured person on it. I am presently the owner & main insured person on existing car, with husband as named driver. We are now buying an additional car and because he hasn't a no-claims bonus in his own name it would be cheaper for me to be the main insured person on the new car. But we have had conflicting advice from insurance brokers as to whether we need to swap owners on the existing car. My other question is whether I can be the registered owner of both cars and i am insured n the new one and husband on other one.

Sorry if this doesn;t make any sense but the insurance co's are confusing me!!

The registered owner is not necessarily the main driver. I'm the registered owner of our family car, but my wife is the main driver (as I commute by Luas most of the time). The insurance proposal form will ask both questions (who is the owner, who is the main driver) - you just have to answer both questions truthfully.

Some people have the false impression that you can name the main driver that best suits you to minimise the insurance costs. You can't - the main driver is whoever drives the car most. Any other answer can mean your insurance is null and void.

We were in the same situation last year my husband traded in my car and I took over his, he is still the registered owner of the car but insurance is in my name, I just transfered my policy on to his car,I asked the insurance co.about change of ownership and they said it was ok between spouses.I'm with Allianz direct,never have a prob when taxing it either.

jaybird said:
i had a policy for 1 year with Quinn , and when it came up for renewal I asked to get my husband named on the policy. We asked if he could be the main insured person with me as the named driver as he has a full license and is older than me.
So which of you was actually the main driver of the car?

Back